• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Planned to build a Kibler but couldn’t pass this up.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluegrass

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I got my hands on my first hand made rifle last week. Rice 42” swamped .50 caliber barrel, L&R lock and a modestly curly maple stock. Handles like an absolute dream and stacks ball on ball with that swamped barrel. I don’t think it’s a real close copy of any particular gunsmith’s work, but what time period and region would you say this rifle represents?
B2530E6D-F61A-49A0-97BB-E34513587B4B.jpeg
B68845EF-0389-4E86-A518-B57BF2D2055C.jpeg
09C9974A-CF7D-449F-BBFE-AF636D322529.jpeg
D3F7589B-459A-4B37-AC6F-2A1C9E969A0D.jpeg
B922A54E-E629-435E-80F6-7BAAD3D4A741.jpeg
76D16EA6-C4FA-41A3-81C9-39C37AF37FF0.jpeg

I got my hands on my first hand made rifle last week. Rice 42” swamped .50 caliber barrel, L&R lock and a modestly curly maple stock. Handles like an absolute dream and stacks ball on ball with that swamped barrel. I don’t think it’s a real close copy of any particular gunsmith’s work, but what time period and region would you say this rifle represents? View attachment 78998View attachment 78999View attachment 79000View attachment 79001View attachment 79002View attachment 79003
I may be wrong but it looks to me that what you have there is a gorgeous Virginia style longrifle. At least it looks like every Virginia style I've ever seen sans the patchbox.

I am on fire to get me a Kibler, but that would make me consider a diff route. Let us know how it works out for you.
It’ll shoot a 3 shot group you can cover with a quarter at 25 yards so once I get more familiar with the rifle I think we’ll get along just fine. Also, when I compared to what I was going to spend on a Kibler and a few tools, I’d be a fool to pass this one up. I can build my own for my next rifle.

@Bluegrass, I would have found it very difficult to pass that rifle up too. Late flint period when all the decorative caring was going out of style but before the machinery was in place for milling straight barrels.
When people ask me when it would have been made, I’ve been saying “roughly 1760s-90s, Lancaster Pennsylvania.” They don’t know the difference but maybe I should say 1780s-1800 Virginia?

Your rifle has the insised lines on the cheek piece like a Dickert Lancaster Rifle, but without a Dickert styled patchbox. The brass hardware is similar to hardware used on Dickert rifles. The Siler lock is similar to the Germanic locks. It has elements of a Dickert rifle with other elements of generic Lancaster rifle architecture.

Stick with your 1760-1790 Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle.

Your rifle has the insised lines on the cheek piece like a Dickert Lancaster Rifle, but without a Dickert styled patchbox. The brass hardware is similar to hardware used on Dickert rifles. The Siler lock is similar to the Germanic locks. It has elements of a Dickert rifle with other elements of generic Lancaster rifle architecture.

Stick with your 1760-1790 Lancaster Pennsylvania Rifle.
Kinda my thoughts also . I would have bought that without a thought .

You have an excellent rifle you can use right now instead of waiting, then having to build. You done good and you can get your kibler kit in a little while down the road if you think you need a project. That is one fine looking gun you got there, enjoy.

I got my hands on my first hand made rifle last week. Rice 42” swamped .50 caliber barrel, L&R lock and a modestly curly maple stock. Handles like an absolute dream and stacks ball on ball with that swamped barrel. I don’t think it’s a real close copy of any particular gunsmith’s work, but what time period and region would you say this rifle represents? View attachment 78998View attachment 78999View attachment 79000View attachment 79001View attachment 79002View attachment 79003
Oh you poor man! How will you feel about giving up your goal and surrendering to instant gratification tomorrow. You will reget this my friend.
But I willhelp a friend in need. Send me that gun and go get you a Kibler like you planed. You will feel better about your own achievements..... promise
😂

Oh you poor man! How will you feel about giving up your goal and surrendering to instant gratification tomorrow. You will reget this my friend.
But I willhelp a friend in need. Send me that gun and go get you a Kibler like you planed. You will feel better about your own achievements..... promise
😂
Well then YOU’D feel guilty for indulging in instant gratification. While I appreciate the offer I’ll accept the consequences of my actions and leave you to enjoy your life.

Back