• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pipe bowls that are not catlinite

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zukeeper1

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I don't know where this question really belongs but here seemed like the right place. It seems that all of the native type pipes I see are using catlinite for the bowl. I am curious as to what else might have been used ?
I was thinking maybe antler , but I would imagine it wouldn't smell to good when it burned. Bone maybe ?

A lot depends upon the time period and geographical area you are talking about. True pipestone comes from only one area in southwest Minnesota. The Indian tribes did trade it through their network of trade routes, so some did end up in most parts of North America.

But the Indians used whatever stone they had available - like granite and soapstone. The northeast had lots of soapstone, and many pipes were carved from it. The Micmac pipes in the northeast also became a "cottage industry" with small craftsmen in New France carving them from soapstone for the fur trade market. Soapstone carved much like pipestone, but granite took a lot of "pecking" to shape.

Clay pipes were also used. Some tribes made up their own tube/cone type pipes. Some made up their own versions of the European clay pipes and sheet iron or brass pipes.

So there are other options, but it really depends upon when and where you are interested in.

The corncob pipe seems to really show up in the Civil War time. And antler pipe bowls are more modern rondivoo than old.

Just my humble thoughts to share, and best used in conjunction with your own research.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

thanks for the information , it is greatly appreciated . I seem for some reason to be drawn to the mid to later part of the 1800's ( after the majority of the mountain man era)

up in my neck of the woods we have deposits of a black pipestone. it seems somewhat harder than the soapstone i am familiar with, but when it is well soaked it carves quite readily with knives and files and dills.

take care, daniel

I asked the head of our museum today about what he had seen in local archeology. No recird if it earlier, but in the post-contact period (starting around 1790 when the Russians showed up), a very few pipes appeared made locally out of ground and shaped slate. He's sure they're post-contact, not only from the magic of dating but also because they were made to mimic the shape of clay trade pipes that showed up about the same time. The natives ground slate frequently for tools up here, so it makes sense.

If you don't know this, slate turns bright red just like a brick when you heat it. He said sure enough the bowls were red, tapering toward gray further up the short stem, depending on how long the stem was. Actually sounds pretty cool when you think about it.

It seems that all of the native type pipes I see are using catlinite for the bowl. I am curious as to what else might have been used ?
I was thinking maybe antler , but I would imagine it wouldn't smell to good when it burned. Bone maybe ?

1) ANTLER )i.e. elk, deer, etc.)is a bone growth - HORN (i.e. cow, buffalo, etc.) on the other hand is a hair growth

2) Steatite aka soapstone was widely used as a pipebowl material amongst the Norhtern Plains tibes: Absaroke (aka Crow), Blackfoot, etc,

Daniel: That is just the thing I have been looking for to make a bullet mold outm of . How could I get some of that stone.mudd Turtle. :confused:

Gray Wolf said:
It seems that all of the native type pipes I see are using catlinite for the bowl. I am curious as to what else might have been used ?

1) ANTLER )i.e. elk, deer, etc.)is a bone growth - HORN (i.e. cow, buffalo, etc.) on the other hand is a hair growth

2) Steatite aka soapstone was widely used as a pipebowl material amongst the Norhtern Plains tibes: Absaroke (aka Crow), Blackfoot, etc,

Crow works :grin:
I got a block of soapstone coming ,I got it from e bay because I am sure I'll probably destroy the stone my first few attempts :redface:

when breakup comes i'll be getting up that way and pick some up--been meaning to anyway. it was an outcrop on the shore of silver lake--very ancient country with stone tools near by that date 13,000 b.p. there was a dam break several years ago and the shoreline has changed, but i think i can find it again. get ahold of me in june and i might be able to send you some.

take care, daniel

I made the trip to Pipestone, MN, once just to buy some Catlinite. The red stone is everywhere up there, even some of the older buildings are built from it, and there are traders who sell the stone mined the modern way, not the old tradtional ways. At least a couple of these traders sold a black soapstone that is very popular with modern pipe makers. You could probably track down everything you might need for pipe making in Pipestone. I haven't looked in a while, but there used to be a couple of dealer websites.

Try to find a copy of te book "Collector's Guide to Indian Pipes, Identification and Values." It will answere just about any question you might have about PC pipemaking and the materials used in making them. Right off, I remember some horn shaped pottery pipes in the book, but none actually made of horn. I'll have to dig my copy out and search it for examples.

Thanks Daniel. That would be fine. I will try to rember june and get in touch then. Let me know how much and the postage charges. Mudd Turtle. :thumbsup:

You can get soapstone to "carve" at most any antique or junque store. Just look for those old "foot warmers" - a rectangular slab of soapstone often with a wire bale type handle. They were made in several sizes and thicknesses. So just look around a bit. And if they are a little damaged or chipped on the corners, you can often pick them up really cheap.

I know several friends that use them all the time when making those micmac pipes. Try to find the thicker ones. And watchout for any that are "splitting" along layers within the stone.

You might also check with some of the modern wood stove sellers. Some new heating stoves are made in part from soapstone. They might have scraps or broken pieces you could pick up.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your carving projects.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

Back