• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pillow ticking question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kossetx

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I went to wally mart and asked for pillow ticking. I got in return the standard confused look of the normal wallymart employee.

I wandered around and looked for something that resembled ticking but didn't see anything. Of the fabrics I looked at I didn't see a thickness listed and being I wasn't packing(micrometer), I moved on. Do you all that get it at walmart get striped ticking or is it in some other form/color. Is there a size indicated on the spool or do I need to start packing(again, a mic)? I've been using bulk tight weaved cotton rags that have no stretch but they are all in the .011-.012 range. I thought I'd try something a little thicker.

Thnaks for any info.

forget Walley world and go to a fabric shop,and take your mic.,preferbly a disc mic. Fabric shops where I live have a good selection,at least the last time I bought some.If yor not sure of what thickness you need get small samples and try them out,then buy a good supply.

Wally world has four different types. They don't call it ticking. There is red stripe, blue stripe, tan stripe, and plain off white color. It's been $3.77 per yard at every store I've been to for as long as I can remember.

I've never found ticking at fabric stores. Funny but they give me the funny look when I ask for it.

HD

If you are looking for thicker than go with the Blue Strips. For my .50 cal using .490 balls it is a pretty tight fit. The only problem I had was when my wife used my supply of patching material for one of her sewing projects. :grin: She ran out and I forget what it was called but it was 100% cotton and she needed.

But it is OK since when she goes fabric shopping I can tell her to pick me up some patching or cleaning patch fabric and she know what to get now.

i buy mine at wal-mart.

like you said, 4 colors.

i buy the blue one.

they do call it PILLOW TICKING.

i also take a mike with me too.

i like it at .018.

Like sproulman, I get my blue and white striped pillow ticking at Wal-Mart. It mics at .018".

kosse
Maybe calling it "Striped heavy cotton cloth" would help the hired hands figure out what you were looking for? If they are still standing there with their mouths open you could add, "It has lots of red and white or blue and white stripes."

When all is said and done, any tight weave 100 percent pure cotton cloth will work in a pinch.

I wonder if ticking is a local thing,last time I checked at our closest wallmark there wasn't any, but the local fabric shop had a good selection

Might well be a local thing. Our Chinamart carries it in all the colors mentioned so far, plus solid red. I got a couple of yards of the red for bag lining. When I run out of my current batch of striped stuff for patching, I'm likely to switch to the solid red just cuzz it's different. Cool stuff!

The first time I bought some at Wal-Mart I expected the 'Huh?' response from the clerk in the fabrics department, but she answered sure, took me right to it and asked which one I needed. I told her .018 thick and she pulled out the blue stripe bolt. The only thing that slowed her down was that I only wanted 1 yard. She asked what I wanted such a small amount for, and when I told her she said, "Cool. I've never heard of that." So I asked her what she did with it; she looked at me kind of funny and said, "I make pillows." Duh. Time to put tail between legs and head for the checkout lines.

Most of the fun in buying patch material is the look you get when you bring out the mic and start measuring cloth,priceless.

Do the different colors have anything to do with the thickness?

The blue ticking I got at Wally world mikes out at .015 and if you really squeeze the micrometer down it goes to .011. Which one is the correct thickness?

I buy old pillows at auctions. I bought a feather tic mattress for $5.00 last year. It was down though and too nice to cut up. My boys sleep on it.

I use the red and white just cuz it's different than what the other shooters use and I can find my patches after I shoot. It measures .018 thick

I use the cotton Pocket Drill Cloth from JoAnn's Fabrics. It will be with the muslins and osnabergs. Pillow ticking should be close by as well. I think it is a tighter weave than the pillow ticking. In my guns the drill cloth holds up better than ticking. The drill cloth comes in only one thickness and should be washed to remove the sizing. The thickness is 0.017"

Good shooting.

The only Mal Wart in my area with a fabric department has such poor service you will never even see an associate-it's basically serve yourself. So I found it by myself, cut it by myself and when I got to the glazed eye cashier with no upc she just said "go ahead with it" rather than bother an attempt at getting a manager to get a price. I only got a yard, I should have taken the whole bolt!

Well I haven't been to Wal-Mart to buy fabric in a while; wife informed me that the local Wal-Marts in our area is getting out of the fabric business.

OB OBrien said:
Do the different colors have anything to do with the thickness?

The blue ticking I got at Wally world mikes out at .015 and if you really squeeze the micrometer down it goes to .011. Which one is the correct thickness?
I don't believe the colors have anything to do with thickness.

Generally when one talks about patch thickness they're referring to the nominal, or 'uncrushed' thickness. There's some minor controversy about that, as some will say, with good reason, the only thing that matters is the 'crushed' thickness since that's what is in effect when the ball is in the bore. However, the convention is usually to refer to the nominal thickness.

Oh, yes, when buying pillow ticking at a fabric store or at Wal-Mart, be sure to wash it thoroughly to remove a substance called 'sizing'; it's a form of starch used to keep fabrics smooth on the bolt.

The pillow ticking at my walmart does vary in thickness. If I want a thin patch I use the red, if I wan't medium thickness I use the blue and if I want thick I use a material that is a cross between denim and pillow ticking, which they no longer sell at my wally mart. I have a feeling the variance is due to different lots of material, but there is a big difference, your store might be different.

Latest posts

Back