• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pillow ticking

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ran into Hobby Lobby last night with my wife. I ventured back to the fabric area and asked if they had any pillow ticking. Neither lady knew what I was asking for. I searched around and found three different "bolts" I guess it is called that, in the very back. I didn't have anything to measure thickness, so went with the red. Measured at home and it appears .017 . I felt the price was pretty reasonable at $7.00 for a yard. If anyone is looking for some bulk ticking just a heads up.

Thank you Frontier's, I plan on washing it today. I measured it unwashed. I know sometimes folks are wanting exact thickness. So if anyone needs .017 they have it at a good price. A yard will last me a long time for sure.

Every time I run in to a fabric store and start measuring fabric with calipers I get those weird looks, like I am insane or something. Is it not a normal procedure..? I got some .020 tight weave cotton that work very good in my Old Virginia "Klette" .custom reproduction 47 cal. rifle!
anytime i go into a hardware store with calipers i get wierd looks,, they start wispering stuff like it's one of "those guys" lol

how about using old t-shirt or underwear?
Good for cleaning patches, shooting patch need to bee all natural fabric and that is when I get those second weird expressions from behind the counter..! And color dos not matter even.! (third funny looks, and I may read their faces: "He is not at all on this planet..!"

The two ladies that worked the fabric department seemed very surprised, they asked me what it was for and I told them to shoot my old Muzzleloader. Told them it was used to wrap the balls before you pushed them down the barrel. One of the ladies said her husband was having a hard time finding ammo for his hunting rifles..... But she said she had no Idea that people where having to resort to old Muzzleloaders to hunt now due to the ammo shortage. I just said yep.. it is getting pretty bad!

I had just taken in an 1897 model 27 hand-crank singer to Jo-ann's to be serviced and there were several ladies there that wanted to see the machine. We started talking and they asked me what I sewed on the old singer I told them I made leather and cloth garments for people that do re-enacting they were fascinated with all the garments I've made over the years. I explained that I only use the machine for cloth and that my leather items are entirely hand-sewn. As I was leaving they told me that they seemed to be amateurs after hearing me explain the process I go through.

While I agree that using old t shirts as shooting patches is not recomended. I was at a local shoot know for it's serious shooters once and a man came in shooting a CVA kentucky, using wheel weight lead balls, and T shirts for patches and he won the shoot .Why, because he was a good shooter and had practiced with that combination.

There's a difference between pillow and mattress ticking with the mattress being a bit heavier & thicker. I have a good supply of both although I have limited use for the thinner pillow ticking. The mattress stuff does very well in rifles with less-deep rifling, say, under .012". The feel of the two fabrics is very noticeable if you rub them between your finger & thumb. If you are looking for the "striped" ticking make sure it's pure cotton and both feel it and measure it with a caliper. I've seen some red striped ticking that barely made .010" with a caliper. When held up to the light the weave was open and flimsy. The good stuff I've found was either blue or brown.

Latest posts

Back