• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Shooting Has Begun with the GPR

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It looks like you have cleaned out the rough spots and should have a good shooting rifle from now on.

FYI, since they are made in Italy, you can always tell an Italian rifle year of manufacture by the date code in the square box stamped on the barrel. Yours will have an AN in the box.

Regards,

John

I have the same issues with my GPR. After two shots I need to swab the bore once in order to get 2 more shots. I can feel the uneven surface inside the bore. I studied Duelist1954 video with ACE finishing pad for metal. I cut a piece approx 1.5 inches square. I placed it over the bore of my .50 cal GPR using a .45 jag. I can't push the pad in. I switched to a .36 jag and pushed the jag through the pad. I am using a metal rod with a handle. I gave up and used a brush. What did I do wrong?

I always swab after each shot if I am shooting BP as it does leave alot of residue. If you use 2F, it leaves even more. How is your accuracy?

I cut a piece approx 1.5 inches square. I placed it over the bore of my .50 cal GPR using a .45 jag. I can't push the pad in. I switched to a .36 jag and pushed the jag through the pad. I am using a metal rod with a handle. I gave up and used a brush. What did I do wrong?
You did nothing wrong, you just have not found that just right size combination of Scotch-Brite patch and jag size (think Goldilocks). Your 45 caliber jag was too large, while the 36 caliber apparently too small. You could also adjust the size of your Scotch-Brite patch. I have done a similar procedure on more muzzleloaders than I can count. Yep, initially found a few combinations were too tight, and a few were too loose. But after a little trial and error, the process beats the daylights out of swabbing between shots or not being able ram a load home, at least for me. May or may not work for you.

"As the FFg is in unopened cans I figured may as well use the FFFg (Goex) in the powder horns and proceed from there, only the unmarked horn must have been Pyrodex as there was absolutely no cloud upon firing, twice, a 75 grain and 80 grain loading".

This scares me. Pyrodex smokes, really does. Now I know it was in a powder horn but.....? Unknown powder shouldn't be used in a muzzleloader.

Well ya didnt blow it up so I guess yer on the right path. Just my safety rant.

I have a CVA frontier that was rode hard and put away wet and its bore is UGLY! I will try the scotch brite again. Do keep trying stuff, youll find the right load. I have a .36 bobcat took 15+ years and found it likes a LOOSE load with THIN patch and only borebutter works?

Latest posts

Back