• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta .44 navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 268123
I picked up this along with my long gun, the price was right.
I gout 6 BP guns for $600.
Sold 4 and they paid for the 2 I kept.
Now the fun starts with learning how to shoot BP safely.
I am very educated and knowledgeable about modern firearms and realy look forward to learning new stuff.
I have been reading post and gained a ton of info from this fourm.
Thank you all!
Pretty.

If anyone appreciates 'authentic', it would be me...however, I happened into a Pietta .44 'Navy' brasser recently. Very well made with super nice action. Being a brasser, I chose to purchase a new, unfired CCH steel frame to play Adult Legos with and ended up with one of the sweetest little guns in my collection. It's basically an Army caliber cylinder on a Navy sized gun. Is it authentic? Hell no. Do I care? Ditto. I have lots of other 'authentic' repros for that game.
Shoot what you like and what appeals to you. Reproductions are all just that, no matter who tries to convince you otherwise. My two cents...don't spend it all in one spot.

If anyone appreciates 'authentic', it would be me...however, I happened into a Pietta .44 'Navy' brasser recently. Very well made with super nice action. Being a brasser, I chose to purchase a new, unfired CCH steel frame to play Adult Legos with and ended up with one of the sweetest little guns in my collection. It's basically an Army caliber cylinder on a Navy sized gun. Is it authentic? Hell no. Do I care? Ditto. I have lots of other 'authentic' repros for that game.
Shoot what you like and what appeals to you. Reproductions are all just that, no matter who tries to convince you otherwise. My two cents...don't spend it all in one spot.
Iā€™d like to see pics of that one!

Around ten years ago Cabelas had Pietta brass 44 Navies on sale for about $120 so I bought three. One is in the safe almost new, one got sold and the other got shot a lot and modified. I got my money's worth!
1700286139476.png

Lets face it, a large part of the traditional style black powder game is using oneā€™s imagination. If someone likes a ā€œ51ā€ Navy style in .44, as I do, so be it and those that criticize can fall in the lake! My Pietta .44 ā€œ1851ā€ is the sweetest smoothest BP cap & ball I have.

Welcome to the forum! 6 guns for $600 was most likely a screaming deal unless the four you sold were in-lines that we don't talk about here or were rust buckets but even some rust buckets are more than worth $100 each in salvageable parts. If you haven't looked it up already, your pistol was made in 1996. Looks to be used some but reasonably well cared for. Most everyone here will suggest that you find and use real black powder to fully enjoy the revolver vs substitutes if you can. I have to travel to get real black powder but I travel to visit family and picking up real black powder when visiting is just a bonus. The hard thing at this time will be finding percussion caps. You may have to watch several online companies waiting for them to have them back in stock. I suggest Grafs and Midway. Both are in MO and often have them in stock. Grafs usually has real black powder in stock too so by combining a purchase of caps and powder you would only pay one hazmat fee.
Again, welcome and enjoy! C & B revolvers are great fun to shoot whether they period correct or not!

Show us the long gun you kept too!

Good Lord, the things people get hung up on. Whining about Navy .44's not being period correct while you drive to the square range in your Honda???

I like my Navy .44's better than my Navy .36's. Big bore, octagon barrel, who wouldn't? Only sad that an egotistical, wannabe gunsmith ruined my laser engraved Pietta .44 Navy by botching the unmentionable conversion.

Nice looking pistol. While a .44 Navy was never made repos in .44 are common I think because some folks prefer a .44 over the original .36 for numerous reasons. The larger .44 bullets/balls can be easier to handle and load for those with fat or arthritic fingers.
I was so hot to get an 1849 pocket model but even with no arthritis in my hands/fingers the .31 is just to small to bother with. For me anyway.

Back