• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta .44 navy?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good Lord, the things people get hung up on. Whining about Navy .44's not being period correct while you drive to the square range in your Honda???

I like my Navy .44's better than my Navy .36's. Big bore, octagon barrel, who wouldn't? Only sad that an egotistical, wannabe gunsmith ruined my laser engraved Pietta .44 Navy by botching the unmentionable conversion.
im not particular about the date a gun is. just like them go boom

I’d like to see pics of that one!
Ask and ye shall receive:

Before:

52369550652_e0b92d7d9c_4k.jpg

After:

52370806984_a443ff7f78_4k.jpg

All of my cap & ball revolvers are .44. Needless to say, I like my Traditions (Pietta) 7.375" .44 the best of all. The 3rd Model Dragoon is a very large, very heavy, large grip shooter. The 1860 Army looks the best, streamlined, the large, long Army grips just don't fit my hands comfortably. My Traditions Navy.44 fit my hands to a T. Fast drawing and cocking the hammer comes natural. I can't do that with the Dragoon or the 1860. THE NAVY SIZE GRIPS SAYS IT ALL. The Colt people had the same idea in developing the 1873 Single Action in .45 Colt. NAVY SIZE FRAME AND NAVY GRIPS. The 1873 was developed to be the best and still is. Don't be too hard on the .44 Navy shooters as today's lever actions in .45 Colt never happened in the black powder era, either. .44-40 was the main ammo for
the levers. As far as the black powder hunting season, I would rather have a Navy .44 over a .36 any day as my sidearm. KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK MEN AND LADIES, YOU'RE DOING A FINE JOB.

Guys it's irrelevant if Colt ever made one. This Man is just proud of what he actually has so just welcome a new friend to the world of BP shooting. Whether you like it or not its a fun piece to shoot. May you have tons of fun with it. You will learn a lot from these people but just forgive their arrogant diatribes.

There actually was a .577 five shot revolver produced in England.
Saw it in a gun magazine in the middle 1970's and wanted one ever since.

There actually was a .577 five shot revolver produced in England.
Saw it in a gun magazine in the middle 1970's and wanted one ever since.
Tranter. Had a guy that wanted me to make him a holster for one but it never materialized.

Guys it's irrelevant if Colt ever made one. This Man is just proud of what he actually has so just welcome a new friend to the world of BP shooting. Whether you like it or not its a fun piece to shoot. May you have tons of fun with it. You will learn a lot from these people but just forgive their arrogant diatribes.
i Agree with you too.enjoy your pistol and let the smoke fly

I don't care if it is historically correct or not - if I like it I will buy it.:thumb:
ACTUALLY Mine are Colt Brass Navy .44's.... doubly incorrect.
I bought them as they were dirt cheap at the time, and I was writing an article for a CAS magazine on getting started low budget.

LD

just dont shoot the brassesers too much... i had a navy arms 51 navy and S&B .36 get so loose in the 70s that the hammer would not even hit the nipples...

just dont shoot the brassesers too much... i had a navy arms 51 navy and S&B .36 get so loose in the 70s that the hammer would not even hit the nipples...
lol i bought a few brassers before i found this forum. didnt know all about this stuff.dang dont want them to fall apart. think i will load them with maybe 15 or 20 geains and pray they dont fall apart. aint going shoot nothing till our deer season goes out.at least i dont think i will. i hunt with a crossbow. got messed up shoulders and a back with plates and rods. but i still hunt out of a climber.

lol i bought a few brassers before i found this forum. didnt know all about this stuff.dang dont want them to fall apart. think i will load them with maybe 15 or 20 geains and pray they dont fall apart. aint going shoot nothing till our deer season goes out.at least i dont think i will. i hunt with a crossbow. got messed up shoulders and a back with plates and rods. but i still hunt out of a climber.
They won't fall apart if you keep charges under 25gr for a .44 and 20gr for a .36 and correct short arbor issues and excess cylinder gaps before they become an issue.

They won't fall apart if you keep charges under 25gr for a .44 and 20gr for a .36 and correct short arbor issues and excess cylinder gaps before they become an issue.
hey thanks. umm the short arbor and cylinder gap. well im going be honest.it sort of confuses me.got a few pistols and have been taking the wedge pin out. its a pain.trying not to damage them bad. use a hammer that has 2 sides one side brass and one side looks like a hard plastic. them wedges are very hard to get out and put back in. i pulled so hard on one that i fell out of the chair in the yard and lost the dange wedge. lol. wasnt funny then but now it is. so ordered another one. aint shot them yet but they sure aint going to rust. i clean them up a lot.i know since i aint shot them that they r good (got ocd about rust) lol. but im learning a lot on here from all of yaw.

Back