• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pietta 44

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always wondered about a pistol where the barrel is removed every time you re-load; I keep thinking that tiny area where the receiver and barrel touch could lead to the barrel "aiming off center" a tiny bit. The whole "wedgie" thing; but I love both types.

Which is exactly why the arbor length is so critical in that design platform. Done right, it's the same revolver every time it's reassembled . . . and can and will maintain accuracy.

Mike

I got my Remington New Model Army back in 1980. I don't know how many shots I have put through it, but it has been quite a few over the years. My question is would shooting over a number of years serve to lap out that constriction mentioned? I was told by the seller that it would use a .451 ball, so I bought the Lyman molds and handles and that is all I have ever fired in it. I know a number of the guys here work on revolvers, so have y'all noticed the older .44 Colts and Remingtons from Pietta favored a .451 over a .454?
One needs a set of pin gauges to accurately determine bore diameter changes as a slug driven through will only reveal the tightest spot but not where it is and is not a push through at any stage of bore traverse.
I have found usually the muzzle end to be loose and the constrictions in the breech end or mid barrel , , especially over the threads in closed frame guns.
There are two fixes that I have had success with , fire lapping in cartridge guns and lead slug abrasive hand lapping in percussion guns.

Back