• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pietta 1858 starr double action

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

irataylor

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I am thinking of getting a starr double action. I have read the reviews of the starr single action. I believe the problems with the single action was that the hammer needs some adjustment to hit the percussion cap properly. Anyone have experience with the double action? It might be fun to see how it performs.

Yes...neat design. I have one in the mail.
Been doing alot of reading bout the pietta Starr and it seems like everyone that has one likes it.
It is especially nice if you slide the selector on the back of the primary trigge to the up position....then you cock the gun with the primary trigger and then remove your finger from that trigger and place the finger on the secondary trigger to fire. The secondary trigger is a "hair" trigger ....You should be able to place your shots much beter this way!
The hinged frame also catches my eye...I cant wait for mine to arrive!

I do. It's a little odd to use just the trigger and more or less ignore the hammer, but you'll get used to it. (I sometimes wonder why they even put a spur on the hammer.) I can pull it and squeeze off several shots in double action pretty quickly, but I also find it very easy to cock it, aim, and use it single action for more accurate fire. No worse than any hammer-notch sight, anyway. (When I use double action I just kinda center the front sight on the frame. Almost instinctive shooting.)

One thing that's different is reloading. Even after putting it at half cock you've got to slightly depress the trigger to rotate the cylinder. Nothing to it, but different.

If you do get one, you should also buy a second cylinder. In my opinion one of the cooler things about the Starr is the way it's made for quick swaps.

A big negative, I understand, is that the hand spring assembly is apt to break, and is expensive to replace. I had mine checked out by a gunsmith right away, so that may have helped.

It's a fun revolver, and the historical factor makes it worthwhile. (Depending on the price, of course.)

If you get one, have fun with it.

And it is in your Home state!! It shouldnt take long to receive it!!!
Please post when you get it! and tell us how she shoots!!! :thumbsup:

A double action front loader sounds interesting!

However I have never seen one.

Where can I find a picture of one?

Thanks!

HERE is one...ugly ain't it???
Starrorig1.jpg

AND a couple more
TWOSTARRS.jpg

the first is an original double action,
the pair are single actions ( reproduction)

well my Star Double action arrived today...
I am very pleased with it, Pietta is doing a fine job now a days! Couldnt ask for more when it comes to fit and finish.
The swing arm frame is sweet.
This gun functions FINE is single or Double action...I like to keep it in single action cuz the rear secondary trigger acts like a set trigger...very very light. This is gonna be a great paper puncher,,,
I poured 40 grains in the cylinder and it fit just fine...its gonna give a hefty punch!
I would rate the pistol as a 10 fer sure.

Back