• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pic of Half stock Flintlocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an unfinished one by the builder who’s doing mine currently. It’ll be very similar to this.

IMG_2255.jpeg

IMG_2256.jpeg

Put this together from a bunch of parts. Leamon Trade Rifle precarved stock, 45cal 33" barrel pinned instead of wedges and L&R flintlock. I plan to reshape the lock panels a bit when I have time.
IMG_3237.JPG

Last edited:
I don't have one of my own to show, but I have saved a few images of interesting old guns from the internet. I think all of these have been posted on the forum before, but maybe not all in one place.

This one is from a German builder named Gustavus Erichson, who immigrated to Texas in 1838:

G. Erichson flintlock.jpg
There are more photos of the Erichson rifle in The Texas Gun Trade 1780-1899, by Chris Hirsch. Mr. Hirsch also has a short write-up and more pictures of this rifle on his website, The Texas Gun Trade.

I think this would have been called a "rifle mounted smooth-bore" back in the day:

John Derr 1.1.jpg

It was made by John Derr. A lot of old rifles were reamed smooth after a period of use, when an owner figured a shotgun would be of more use than a rifle, but I believe this one was probably originally smoothbore, considering the relatively light octagon-to-round barrel and the fusil front sight:

John Derr 1.2 Muzzle.jpg

This next one, originally flint but converted to percussion later on, is English, made by W. & G. Chance of Birmingham, likely between 1790 and 1820. Reportedly .577 caliber, with a 30.5" barrel. It's a beauty!

English Rifle.jpg
The percussion conversion looks rather crude compared to the workmanship of the rest of the rifle. This was on the Tortuga Trading website, but since it has already sold, I hope it's okay to post the link to their website. You'll find a bunch more pictures there. Anyway, this Chance rifle suggests to me where the Hawken brothers might have gotten some of their inspiration.

Finally, here is a self-portrait of a young Swiss artist named Peter Rindisbacher:

Rindisbacher.png
Rindisbacher moved to the Red River colony in southern Canada in the 1840's. He produced a lot of artwork, primarily paintings of the local native and Metis people. This drawing shows excellent detail of the clothes, the gun, and the accoutrements, right down to the carving on the base of his buffalo powder horn. I suspect the half-stocked flintlock firearm would have been British, since the Hudson's Bay Company had a virtual monopoly on trade in Canada at the time.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob

I don't have one of my own to show, but I have saved a few images of interesting old guns from the internet. I think all of these have been posted on the forum before, but maybe not all in one place.

This one is from a German builder named Gustavus Erichson, who immigrated to Texas in 1838:

View attachment 261953
There are more photos of the Erichson rifle in The Texas Gun Trade 1780-1899, by Chris Hirsch. Mr. Hirsch also has a short write-up and more pictures of this rifle on his website, The Texas Gun Trade.

I think this would have been called a "rifle mounted smooth-bore" back in the day:

View attachment 261957

It was made by John Derr. A lot of old rifles were reamed smooth after a period of use, when an owner figured a shotgun would be of more use than a rifle, but I believe this one was probably originally smoothbore, considering the relatively light octagon-to-round barrel and the fusil front sight:

View attachment 261958

This next one, originally flint but converted to percussion later on, is English, made by W. & G. Chance of Birmingham, likely between 1790 and 1820. Reportedly .577 caliber, with a 30.5" barrel. It's a beauty!

View attachment 261959
The percussion conversion looks rather crude compared to the workmanship of the rest of the rifle. This was on the Tortuga Trading website, but since it has already sold, I hope it's okay to post the link to their website. You'll find a bunch more pictures there. Anyway, this Chance rifle suggests to me where the Hawken brothers might have gotten some of their inspiration.

Finally, here is a self-portrait of a young Swiss artist named Peter Rindisbacher:

View attachment 261960
Rindisbacher moved to the Red River colony in southern Canada in the 1840's. He produced a lot of artwork, primarily paintings of the local native and Metis people. This drawing shows excellent detail of the clothes, the gun, and the accoutrements, right down to the carving on the base of his buffalo powder horn. I suspect the half-stocked flintlock firearm would have been British, since the Hudson's Bay Company had a virtual monopoly on trade in Canada at the time.

Best regards,

Notchy Bob
I like that English rifle alot. There are some nice ones on this thread. Half stock flinters may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I rather like them.

Bridger photo My No.2 No. 1 H&H .58 flint.JPG
HerbCarl MDeer.JPG

Top is a photo of the Bridger Hawken. In the white, my second copy of it. Third, my first copy of the Bridger Hawken. Next, one of my Kit Carson copies with a Pecatonica precarve (too slim in the butt). Last, a .58 halfstock flintlock I built, based on a Hawken rifle. And below, a mule deer I killed with the .58 flintlock. Friend Carl Jackson drove me on the hunt.

Latest posts

Back