• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Perfect Indiana Squirrel Weather

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So I made it out Saturday on my squirrel venture to see what I could accomplish. The weather was perfect. A little frost on the ground, no wind and the sun was just starting to meet the horizon. I made my hour long trip to my favorite public hunting spot, loaded up my .54 GPR with 35gr of 3f Goex, patch and round ball and proceeded to quietly walk to the woods. I had to make a couple of detours on my normal route I take through the woods because I spotted a couple of bow hunters in the trees and I didn't want to disturb them. So I cut through the woods a different way and started to spot squirrel activity. It didn't take long to put one on the ground and before it was all said and done I got my limit of 5, Sort of! I haven't had this happen to me before, but two of the ones that I shot got stuck in the trees and I couldn't get them down! I guess I should have used a bigger caliber.😁 All in all it was a really good day in the woods.

Squirrels 10-29-22.jpg

I’ve told folks before about squirrel hunting with a .50 caliber muzzleloading rifle. They jumped back, eyes nearly popped out of their heads and screamed “fifty caliber for squirrels!?”. Obviously, they had never heard of reduced powder loads or head shots.

Good shooting! Thanks for sharing.

B’rang, nice score on the bush tails. I had the same problem squirrel hunting a farm outside of New Castle, IN years ago. The squirrel I shot landed in the crotch of a big limb. The tree was too large of a diameter to shinny up and the first limbs to high. My buddy even shot at the dead squirrel trying to move it but nothing worked. I hate losing game but it happens. Thanks for posting your picture and good hunting.

Reminds me of the old adage; Bring enough gun. You, sir, did just that! Saturday was a fine day to squirrel hunt, as I am just east in Ohio. Alas, the rifle was in the vehicle but the task I promised to help with took much too long. Glad your day was spent successfully.

I wish that somebody would have explained about reduced powder loads to the PA game commission when they decided to limit muzzleloaders to 40 cal. or under for small game. Why is it that the ones in charge have the least knowledge about that which they are regulating?

The largest caliber I've used on squirrels was a .58 prb. Big fox squirrel hit in the neck in and out with only pin prick entry & exit. I much prefer small calibers for small game but have still used .45s and the .58. I hate to lose any game animal. Years ago I shot what I took to be a squirrel resting in a hollow where the tree forked. I shot it with my .36 and enough of it became visible for me to identify it as a raccoon. I fired two or three more shots but it was firmly out of my reach. I had stopped hunting raccoons a couple of years prior to that and had no interest in ever going after them again. I really felt bad about how that turned out.

Back