• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion vs. Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voyageur

40 Cal.
Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference because the most important 'hunting tool' you have is not either flint or percussion. It is the knife on your belt or in your backpack.

Voyageur

The knife has been around almost as long as man...
It's no wouder we put so much trust in them...

Yeah, but what have you ever killed with one? Pretty limited in range. The lever is the most useful hunting tool (remember the seven simple machines). The atl-atl, the arm of a bow, a flat spring, twirl it to make a coil spring, the mechanical advantage of the trigger.

Then there are the tools God gave us (or we developed, depending on your convictions). Binocular vision, opposing thumbs. The ability to plan, strategize and anticipate the future activity of prey.

But a good knife or two sure make the hunt complete.

stumpkiller I use an arkansas toothpick on ground moles in my yard I got seventeen last spring and summer I also used to stick Carp on there spawning runs when I weren't greybearded been tryin for a woodchuck with throwin sticker but aint done it yet
weasel

A number of years ago I remember reading a story about a fella who hunted pigs with knives. He practiced behind his work place each day throwing the knives when he had time. He wore a knife on each hip, a knife on each shoulder and carried one in each hand. The article showed one of the pigs he took and it was impressive! He stuck the pig as it came at him!

A knife blade on the end of a stick is suddenly a spear and the 'lever' simply enhances the spear. No...I still maintain that a knife will be more to the point (
smile.gif
) than the other items you've mentioned. This business about how some knives are 'too big' and therefore you need some little bitty thing that is specially designed to gut game is not correct to my way of thinking. I find that most knives are too small.

Voyageur

I never said they weren't effective. I said they had limited range.

I killed a woodchuck with a Marine fighting knife. Well, it actually went more like throw-wound-chase-kick (lofted him about 20 feet)-and then stab. My not-yet-then-wife witnessed the whole thing.

Back when I was on the staff of a Boy Scout camp a bunch of us set up an indoor range in one of the winter lodges. We got to be pretty effective out to 30 feet or so.

But a knife is primarily a defensive (or silencing) weapon and once you throw it somebody else has it.

I'll go with a little bitty gutting blade. My favorite is a Helle Polar, with a 2-3/4" blade but 'normal' size handle that I wear as a neck knife. But then I usually have at least two others on me when I'm hunting. I have a SOG Seal Tech 2000 that is kind of anachronistic with a muzzleloader, but it is a great comfort on the hip. I also have a D.H. Russell stag-handled Canadian boat knife (not boot knife) in a sheath attached to my shooting pouch and on the pouch strap os a little patch knife I made from an antler tip and a Bruseletto Norwegian laminated 2-3/4" patch cutter blade I got from Dixie about 20 years ago. That one is scary sharp and I gutted a deer with it just to see how it worked (very well).

And then there's usually a Swiss Army lockblade Huntsman in my pocket (it's there right now).

Voyaguer, In Northern Calif. where I used to live there were lots of wild hogs and many who hunted them with dogs only used bayonets. When the hog was bayed and his attention was on the dogs they'd shove the bayonet in behind the shoulder.
Deadeye

You know, I heard something about that at one time. I'm not sure if the animal rights activists were trying to stop it or what. Do you think they still hunt the wild hogs with bayonets?

Voyageur

Voyageur, a while back I read an article about an ol boy down in the East Tennessee hills who made knives and as part of his knife package he held a wild hog hunt. You came to pick up your knife and they turned the dogs loose to run down a hog....you then waded in among the dogs and dispatched the hog. I have a friend in Florida who took hogs for years with flint tipped spears. He would hide in the cabbage palms and wait until the hog was just passed him.....then plunge the spear just behind the rib cage and up into the vitals. I have one of his spears down in the shop...he wanted me to practice with and come try it with him. I informed him I was too old to run and too fat to climb. I havn't asked him lately, but will see him in 2-3 weeks...may find out if he still does that.

A good, and too soon departed, friend of mine told of a PA archery shoot back in the 60's where the annual highlight was to release a pig and the gathered 'bowhunters' would shoot it as it ran around in a panic on the field course. The last year this was run someone found a full grown Russian boar and released that. I guess he gave near as good as he got until he was finally overcome. Many hospitalized archers, lots or permanent limps. Quite a few wanted to do it that way from then on.

I just wish I knew how to use a tomahawk as Mel Gibson's characted did in The Patriot.

I hear you TwoShadows...no way to get traction what with fear controlling the situation.
wink.gif

Most of us have thown 'hawks in competition and the Mel Gibson throw is a little unbelieveable Stumpkiller. I once won a bet hitting a target and getting the 'hawk to rotate 3 complete times. Takes a strong arm and you have to aim towards the moon, practically. The 'hawk is coming in so fast that it has to be perfect to catch a regulation blade.

Voyageur

Back