• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

percussion problem

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

olgreenhead

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a tc hawken and the cap will not fire off the cap after shooting bout 4 or 5 times in a row . I have checked hammer placement it is square , crud under hammer is cleaned and cap is placed down on nipple what could the problem its driving me nuts. Oh yes i know i dont have far to go> :cry:

olgreenhead

My wife has a CVA .50Cal with the same problem. We checked everything and found that the lock was to dry. Once we added a little lube, the lock speed picked up and we no longer had this problem. Hope this helps.

I'll assume you've used a nipple pick to clean out the nipple of crud. Also remove the nipple and use a pipe cleaner to make sure the bolster channel below the nipple into the barrel is clean and not full of crud.

I would also suggest a "Uncle Mikes" hot shot nipple if you think the standard nipple is fouling too quickly.

If you believe the lock is the problem send it back to TC. Their locks have a lifetime warrenty.

:m2c:

I have seen shooters tighten the lock screw that hold the lock to the gun too tight. It will distort the lock and give it a slow action. Snug the screw don't really tighten it, TIGHT.

I agree that it is probably the coil main spring, contact TC and they will send you a new one. I had the same problem a while back and contacted TC, in about 3 days a new spring should up at the house. TC=great warrenty. Also try cleaning and lubing the lock, can't hurt.

Waya :m2c:

I got an Uncle Mike Hot Shot nipple to replace what my Lyman Trade Rifle came with and it made a very big difference. It seams that as soon as I squeeze the trigger the rifle goes boom. Very fast ignition.

Shoots 4-5 times, then the cap doesn't go "pop"? I wonder if there is something in the lock mortise swelling up and slowing the hammer speed down just enough for a malfunction.
Take the lock out and take a look. :m2c:

Well i sent the lock back to tc they said it might be the main spring bought ther doughtful they are going to replace it and give me a ne hammer . We,ll will see in a few day when i get it back ,Art

Hi Art i finally made it to this site but Griz was already taken so over here i'm known as "Blackmouth Cur" :hmm:
Worked on the gun for about 5hrs last Saturday talk to you later.
:thumbsup:Jeff

Back