• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Percussion .50 cal Muzzleloader under $200?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlackBirdSWAG

Pilgrim
Reaction score
Hello, i'm new to muzzleloading and decided I want a percussion muzzleloader to start out with. I've looked around and can't seem to find a good muzzleloader that's under $200... and before you ask, no, I do NOT want a modern muzzleloader :wink: Anyone know of any muzzleloaders that fit my criteria?

They can be found, but you will have to be diligent in visiting the pawn shops and sites like gunbroker. You may have to settle on one that will require a little TLC. I just bought a nice older fowling piece on GB for a total of $199 and an original Jaeger 58 caliber rifle that needed a lot of stock work for $140. Just waiting for the fowling piece to come in to see what I may have to do to get it shooting.

You should be able to find a good Thompson Center for $200 or less. I watched a 54cal TC Hawken sell for $120 last month at an estate sale. It was in great shape and I would have bought it myself but I had spent all my money on an anvil.

no-one here would try to help ya find a modern gun anyways so yer safe there. in fact we don't even talk about'em :hatsoff: . welcome aboard & luck to ya, bubba.

If you have any local gun shows you might find a decent T/C for that price. Where I live, most folks are looking at modern, smokeless guns, so black powder rifles tend to go cheap, especially near to closing time on the last day. Get yourself a fishing bobber light stick to drop down the bore so you can judge the condition. I've picked up some clean guns for cheap but have also seen many a neglected one. Good luck with your search!

PS If you can go up a little in price, there are often some nice guns listed here.

NativeAmerican said:
I've looked around and can't seem to find a good muzzleloader that's under $200...
Ask your parents if they will help you with just a little more. It would be worth it. :thumbsup:

Good replies.

I'll second what RedFeather said about gun shows.

Have found many black powder guns at gun shows over many years. Uberti Santa Fe Hawken for $150 (member of the public was walking around selling it), various T/C rifles, revolvers and accessories.

Some of the estate deals or folks getting out of black powder come with accessories, caps and powder.

Best of good luck in your search. :thumbsup:

I have not seen anything worth looking at in any of the gun shows around here. Sure no TC Hawkens for under $200. Saw none at all for sale.

Unless you want to take a chance on getting a gun with issues, you'll need to up your allotted budget to ~$300 .. maybe a bit less but maybe not.

What part of Texas are you in? What caliber are you wanting and what are you planning on using it for?

I've bought TC Hawken and Renegades for $100. or less. All were in very good to excellent condition, and two appeared unfired. Keep looking.

Keep your eyes open for roadside flea markets and yard sales. I picked up a .50 Thompson Center percussion for $25 last Fall.

Most of the Thompson Center traditional muzzleloaders I've seen priced at less than $200 were either in poor condition (rusty bores) or were owned by someone who didn't know anything about muzzleloaders and just wanted to get rid of it.

There are a lot of CVA halfstock and fullstock (2 piece) out there for anything from $120 to $160 though.

Although the older ones made back in the '70's had some poorly designed and made locks the newer ones made in the '80-'90's were well made.

The barrels on the CVA's were always accurate and although their beech stocks weren't fancy they are an excellent place to start a muzzleloading rifle hobby.

Traditions by the way took over selling the same guns CVA had been importing for years and I haven't heard many complaints with them.

Putting all of this into one simple suggestion, look for garage sales and pawn shops that have a old CVA for sale. .45 or .50 caliber were the common sizes.
Just make real sure the bore is not rusted before you plunk your money down. :)

The one I found was actually in pretty good shape. Has a poorly repaired crack in the lock region but otherwise not bad. I've test fired it, turned out ok. I'm not impressed by the shallow rifling and definitely think that TC locks are pretty crappy. But, I'll repair the stock some day, clean her up and maybe make up a lock for it and sell it to a beginner for a price that will ease both our pains. It oughta shoot decent if what I've read on here is true.

Try some of the big auction houses, Amoskeag auctions several listed with expectations Cheap!!!!!!!!!!

Look in the silent auctions and the big listings.

I have no connection to them but I have spent 100-200,000 Plus with them when I owned my shop.

They rate the bores weird as in excellent with some scattered pitting call on any you want to bid on or take a chance at $100 bucks

Mods if this violates any rule please delete

Latest posts

Back