• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Penny For Your Thoughts? Pawn Shop Find.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a single lever set trigger built in 1837 that will only let the lock be cocked when the triggers are set. It was intentionally built that way. I too think that waiting and setting aside funds to buy a better rifle. That rifle does look like it was well put together, but I would only value it at over $1,000 is it had swamped barrels and a Chambers lock.

I tend to agree with you. I’ve given it a lot of thought, and I simply can’t justify spending as much on this rifle (of which I do not know the history) than I did on my Bruce Hamlin custom flintlock, which I think is head and shoulders above in all respects.

IMG_9443.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_9446.jpeg
    IMG_9446.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9451.jpeg
    IMG_9451.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_9447.jpeg
    IMG_9447.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 0
You know what? You may be onto something! The Dixie Gun Works Southern Mountain Rifle also had that bowl for tallow/grease in the stock, though this one has obviously been modified.

Do you recall what those rifles were selling for when they were being offered by Dixie?

Here in Australia I bought one in LH for around AUST$400 in the mid 80's, it was a good accurate and well fitted rifle IMHO.

For a Tennessee rifle, the design and execution are poor. It has a Siler lock, which is Germanic, and wrong for a southern gun. Southern guns used English locks. The lock still has it's "as cast" surfaces; which tells me that things, overall, probably didn't receive the attention they needed. Most of the inletting looks good, except for the but plate.

Architecturally, it needs some help overall. Transitions are clumsy and rough, as is the shaping that I can see. The cheek piece is horrid, and the carving looks like someone smashed a spider on the stock.

I wouldn't pay anything for it, because I wouldn't carry it. And I wouldn't bother buying it for parts.

I think the cost of parts have been mentioned, as well as the carving and tallow hole on the butt stock. The rifle would have looked better without both. I think it's a little over priced, especially if it is a straight barrel. By the time you pay sales tax you will likely end up around 1400.00. "Custom rifle" can have two meanings........an elegantly crafted firearm that is worthy to be called such and "hey I just turned 900.00 worth of parts into a 700.00 ugly stick, please buy my mistake."

And by the way you got an incredible deal on the Hamlin gun. It is absolutely beautiful!

I wouldn't pay anything for it, because I wouldn't carry it. And I wouldn't bother buying it for parts.
Why don’t you tell us how you really feel? Ouch. I hope the builder doesn’t come across this thread!

I’m still in my infancy regarding flintlock rifles, and I think it shows. I really need to educate myself so I know a good deal when I see one. Thanks for the assessment!

A penny for my thoughts? Are you kidding me. While there was a day when my thoughts weren't even worth 2 cents, We are living now under Bidenomics . And with the inflation, even I can get 3 cents any day of the week. But I think you have your answer now anyway.

Last edited:
I've seen that rifle before, at least one very much like it. I scout online photos looking for butt stock carving designs I like; minimalist things that would be correct on my woods runner. I'm pretty sure I've seen that design somewhere, but didn't download a photo because that design doesn't appeal to me.

I have an antique rifle on which the triggers must be set before cocking. Not a makers mark on it, but I'm guessing it's 1850 or later. There have been some discussion of the issue here before. There's nothing new about it, nor is there anything wrong with it.

I had a similar opportunity a couple of years ago. A local shop bought an estate with several nice flinlock rifles. They had a couple that I was interested in, but the rifles had straight barrels and the price was very near a Kibler kit price, so I didn’t buy one.

Back