• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn shop find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I usually spend one day talking myself into buying a high ticket item and two days talking myself out of the purchase, this procedure has stopped me from a lot of impulse buying but might not work this time.

My nephew messaged me yesterday about a flintlock rifle in one of the local pawn shops, naturally I assumed it would be a CVA or TC but he said it had a long barrel, this peaked my interest.

After mulling over it for a while I decided to drive over to take a look just out of curiosity. I could see the gun in the rack as soon as I went through the door, OH ME, I could tell it was special from a distance.

Now, I am an OK builder but who ever built this gun had skills that eclipsed me by a mile. It was a mixture of styles, slender like a southern gun but with brass furniture and possibly a Becky or small Siler lock, the barrel appeared to be a straight GM either 42 or 44" long in either .40 or .45. It had an expensive single set trigger, much more ornate than any I can find on line today. Everything including the patch box was perfectly inletted. At first glance it appeared to have never been fired but I didn't have anything to look down the barrel with me. The wood was figured with burl but appeared to be fruitwood and not maple.

They were asking about parts cost or a little less for the gun or about a thousand, I don't know it they would negotiate on the cost.

I have two .40s and a .45 already and don't need this gun but there was something about it that keeps drawing me back.
Even if ya don't need it, the rifle sounds like a decent investment. Enjoy it for a while for what it is, and then sell at a profit.
Larry

Pawn Broker here: most pawn shops sell even high quality longrifles as furniture, not shooters. I was a shopper long before I was "the gun guy" at my pawn shop. I once bought a GRRW unfired .50 Hawken in a pawn shop for 400 bucks, about 9 or ten years ago. I bought my very well put together Lancastrian-esque-ish-Dickert-ey rifle and my Leman .54 from a pawn shop for $200 and $150 at pawn shops. They sell em high if they are shiny and low if they used to be shiny.

Don't low ball a pawn broker(not only am I one, I've known dozens of every kind). But don't settle for full price, because if you offer half of asking, it's gonna be full price plus tax, and a d-bag fee on top. But just chat em up. Find a little provenance if possible too.

Pawn Broker here: most pawn shops sell even high quality longrifles as furniture, not shooters.

That explains a lot. I have purchased a few crusty originals from pawn shops over the years while some shiny, I thought to be, low quality specimens were almost double the asking price of the crusty originals. I like the bling of the fancy furniture, just don't see the practical side of it.

If the gun looks good, including the bore, with good build quality, I would grab it right away. Even at the asking price. Even non-builders like me know you can't have a quality built rifle like that built for anywhere close to the asking price. Right now, you are the only one that knows where it's at and the price. You want to get it before the pawn shop owner decides to place it on Gunbroker or similar, which will likely fetch a higher price. And, there's no shipping cost. You can easily get your money back if you change your mind later.
A year ago I was able to get a Pedersoli 1859 Sharps Berdan Infantry Rifle, in unfired condition for $425.00. So, every once in a while you get a home run.

I'd grab it. And, of course, post pics here. LOL Good luck.

Rick

Well, this sucks! I know very little about flints and here you've gone and made me want this one.

Woah, slow down, take a step back and let's be realistic. Do you REALLY need another gun? You can only shoot one at a time and besides it's way too expensive. Shouldn't you consider your family? Will there be enough money this year to buy them presents for Christmas or to meet that unexpected bill? Wouldn't you like to take your soulmate on a surprise vacation; maybe to Arkansas? And of course it's beautiful but sometimes sacrificing here and there really can make you a better person. There seems to be a lot "me" in the world these days. Everybody wants something for themselves because gosh darn "I deserve it". Did it ever occur to you that your brother may secretly is hoping you buy it for him to make up for all the things you got because you were your parents favorite?? There, I hope you see the light clearly after all the mess you gotten yourself in to. Walk away my friend so you will be able to finally have a guilt-free, peaceful nights sleep. So with that said, exactly where is that back alley pawn shop anyway? Asking for a friend.:ghostly:

The Pawn / Consignment Shops I have around me really Bite they always want to much and never let you haggle. And I love horse trading it must be in my blood. Ha Ha… But yes jump on the Deal and like others have said if you don’t want it you can always sell it here or elsewhere right.

I’ll split the cost with ya. And since you already have a .40 & .45, I’ll take it from you 😉

Back