• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pawn shop find

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I usually spend one day talking myself into buying a high ticket item and two days talking myself out of the purchase, this procedure has stopped me from a lot of impulse buying but might not work this time.

My nephew messaged me yesterday about a flintlock rifle in one of the local pawn shops, naturally I assumed it would be a CVA or TC but he said it had a long barrel, this peaked my interest.

After mulling over it for a while I decided to drive over to take a look just out of curiosity. I could see the gun in the rack as soon as I went through the door, OH ME, I could tell it was special from a distance.

Now, I am an OK builder but who ever built this gun had skills that eclipsed me by a mile. It was a mixture of styles, slender like a southern gun but with brass furniture and possibly a Becky or small Siler lock, the barrel appeared to be a straight GM either 42 or 44" long in either .40 or .45. It had an expensive single set trigger, much more ornate than any I can find on line today. Everything including the patch box was perfectly inletted. At first glance it appeared to have never been fired but I didn't have anything to look down the barrel with me. The wood was figured with burl but appeared to be fruitwood and not maple.

They were asking about parts cost or a little less for the gun or about a thousand, I don't know it they would negotiate on the cost.

I have two .40s and a .45 already and don't need this gun but there was something about it that keeps drawing me back.

Last edited:
I have been in your situation too many times to count. I suspect you will have the right judgement and do what is right for you. Sure sounds like a specimen to behold. It is easy to say to purchase it, may have to talk to yourself for a little longer than usual on this one.

I usually spend one day talking myself into buying a high ticket item and two days talking myself out of the purchase, this procedure has stopped me from a lot of impulse buying but might not work this time.

My nephew messaged me yesterday about a flintlock rifle in one of the local pawn shops, naturally I assumed it would be a CVA or TC but he said it had a long barrel, this peaked my interest.

After mulling over it for a while I decided to drive over to take a look just out of curiosity. I could see the gun in the rack as soon as I went through the door, OH ME, I could tell it was special from a distance.

Now, I am an OK builder but who ever built this gun had skills that eclipsed me by a mile. It was a mixture of styles, slender like a southern gun but with brass furniture and possibly a Becky or small Siler lock, the barrel appeared to be a straight GM either 42 or 44" long in either .40 or .45. It had an expensive single set trigger, much more ornate than any I can find on line today. Everything including the patch box was perfectly inletted. At first glance it appeared to have never been fired but I didn't have anything to look down the barrel with me. The wood was figured with burl but appeared to be fruitwood and not maple.

They were asking about parts cost or a little less for the gun or about a thousand, I don't know it they would negotiate on the cost.

I have two .40s and a .45 already and don't need this gun but there was something abut it that keeps drawing me back.
Pawn shops are all about negotiating! Sounds neat! Yeah, pics, please, if you buy. Bore no doubt fine.

They were selling the gun on consignment, I asked who made it, they said they could find out. This gun had no carving except the beaver tails at the lock, it had forestock and buttstock moldings. As a credit to the builder every pin holding the ramrod pipes was perfectly centered in the forestock molding, I am thinking the barrel pins were as well.

They were selling the gun on consignment, I asked who made it, they said they could find out. This gun had no carving except the beaver tails at the lock, it had forestock and buttstock moldings. As a credit to the builder every pin holding the ramrod pipes was perfectly centered in the forestock molding, I am thinking the barrel pins were as well.
Don't let them try to find out. The less research they do, the better for you. It could turn out to be a well respected builder and they will find that out and up the price.

If they roughly want just cost of parts,,,,
what the heck are you waiting for?
Go back with a light that will let you see the bore, if it is good, buy it.
Sounds like you could easily make a profit on it if you decide not to keep it.

Grab it. It is speaking to you. If you change your mind later, you can always get your money back by offering it here, and if you don't buy it, it will haunt you for years.

Probably being sold for a Widow or someone now disabled.
If an estate item, they will come down some. If the bore is
decent, and you can get a Bill of Sale from owner(or letter of Origin)
, not just from pawnshop,, and you can afford it; then buy it- even if they
hold price solid- buy it. The history will add to the value so
see if you can get the real owner's name After the sale.
Plenty of people will pay a grand for that as a wall hanger
in a fine home over a stone fireplace.

Last edited:
You know the cost of part and the work that goes into making one of these guns first hand. If it has quality parts and the craftsmanship is there, it sounds like a more than fair price.
Robby

Back