• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pennsylvania long rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dyk11stra

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a barrel lock 32 cal , there is some markings on the barrel of manufacture, but I cannot identify. I also believe this was original flint lock converted to barrel lock. It’s in original condition otherwise. I did have new ramrod made. Were can I go to get idea of value and possibly sale. It has silver insets (3). Pictures on request.

I don't really know what a barrel lock rifle is, but there are lots of smart guys here on the forum. Why not post a few photos here, I'm sure someone will have opinions or experience?

The Muzzle Loader Forum is as good a place as any to ask questions of the value.

Put your question to the forum with pictures of your rifle in the Firearms Identification Forum. You will need a side on full length picture, close up of the lock, pictures of the stampings on the barrel, and pictures of the silver inlays.

I am speculating that a barrel lock is a percussion lock. Include photos of that part of the lock as well.

I have a barrel lock 32 cal , there is some markings on the barrel of manufacture, but I cannot identify. I also believe this was original flint lock converted to barrel lock. It’s in original condition otherwise. I did have new ramrod made. Were can I go to get idea of value and possibly sale. It has silver insets (3). Pictures on request.
Posting pictures on this forum is quite easy if you have some in your computer or smart phone.
Follow this link to see how it's done.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/threads/posting-a-picture-on-the-forum.115183/

Here are some pictures
8231BE21-40D3-4B88-B319-223227F1D8AE.jpeg
B5C8BD0B-55DF-4C39-B0D1-46F72D2FD0B5.jpeg
3A527CC6-3D66-4173-9193-E0475380C2F1.jpeg
014537B8-7F65-4445-BAD0-958757A987A0.jpeg
E343B849-943E-468D-A259-7E90A8769868.jpeg
2804408F-A0D5-4A64-A872-73E4DA2D0E53.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know much about long rifles but I suspect you have a treasure … waiting to hear from those more knowledgeable. Dale

I dont think it was converted from flint. Also, there is writing or numerals on the lock. I cant make those out. What condition is the bore?

Does not appear to be the original lock seems inletted for a Ketland style profile lock. Hints of a Ohio style triggers, guard and patchbox. Typically fullstocks of the 1800's were flint...that's not saying that it was not born percussion as they were. Without clear photos showing straight-on at 90* angles it is somewhat difficult to ascertain. A shot of the heel/toe of the stock can give a better idea. Certainly a later life rebuild. Interesting either way, don't do anything to it is the best advice and just look at it for what it is.
1610065840869.png

Last edited:
Unless it is made by a maker whose work is collectible, late percussion guns like these go for $300-$500. If it is a Henry or Leman it may be worth more.
These sorts of guns are hard to place. There were thousands of late percussion builders all using parts many others were using.

Dyk11sta
I tried to enlarge the lock to try to read the numbers, maybe a straight on closeup photo.
Also you may want to post this on the American Longrifles forums
1F956C64-2306-4B93-B846-846C32856B01_1_201_a.jpeg
1F956C64-2306-4B93-B846-846C32856B01_4_5005_c.jpeg

Last edited:
I dont think it was converted from flint. Also, there is writing or numerals on the lock. I cant make those out. What condition is the bore?
I had gunsmith tell me the bore is clean and shootable, I have not shot this rifle.

I just noticed that now from the one picture up above, but really cant tell by that. I’d think it strange for bushing metal to stay shiny for 100 years while the rest of the barrel, drum and lock developed heavy patina.

If the trigger guard and cap box are mates , they look very Ohio. The Lehigh Co. , Pa. roman nose style stock was common to just about anywhere in Appalachia , and Ohio. Beyond that the stamping on the lock might help us know where the orphan lock came from. The hammer is large and not in proportion to the lock plate. The barrel and stock might be mates only because of the barrel pinning inlays don't appear to be a redo. Hope someone else can help out w/this.......oldwood

For 300 - 500 dollars for a rifle like this, sounds like time to start buying all I can get. In Florida you could only swindle someone out of a rifle like this for nothing less than 800 and more like 1200.

At auction the prices are even higher possibly because they are difficult to find

I just noticed that now from the one picture up above, but really cant tell by that. I’d think it strange for bushing metal to stay shiny for 100 years while the rest of the barrel, drum and lock developed heavy patina.
I had a gunsmith clean and make rifle in shooting condition and made new rod but never fired the rifle, this is why it is shiny

The lock surely itself, was not converted to percussion, but may have been swapped for the flintlock lock, if the barrel was converted.
I write that because, IF it was a converted lock, there would evidence of two screw holes, one for the frizzen screw and one for the frizzen spring screw, plus a smaller hole for the frizzen spring leverage pin. These do not seem apparent. You can see where the main spring screw and the main spring leverage pin are on the lock plate.

OLD CAPLOCK LOCK B.jpg

It looks like it was a very nice conversion, OR it was a very nice replacement for the original lock, if it was always a caplock and the original lock was somehow lost or broken beyond repair, etc.

LD

Speculating based on the very nice fit of the lock in the stock, that rifle was always a percussion lock rifle. A lot of percussion rifles were made with the drum system of percussion locks.

Taking nothing away from your rifle, that is a very nice example of an early percussion Pennsylvania rifle.

Latest posts

Back