• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pendersoli Frontier rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maineguy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
what does anyone think of the Pendersoli Frontier 50 cal percussion ? i have one coming to me I use to have a pendersoli Hawkens that shot very well.

I have only one Pedersoli flint lock. It is a 1777 Charlieville musket, about 30 years old. What I have done is this....I obtained a Pedersoli 1802 Harpers Ferry cap lock and a drum and nipple. Since I had a touch hole liner installed for the flint lock, I am able to switch between to two ignition systems. The lock dimensions are the exact same size. All internal parts fit into the lock mortice.
When bought, the touch hole was drilled into the barrel, too low in relation to the pan. Ignition was poor. I had a machine shop redrill the barrel. This was drilled out and tapped for a 1/4x28 vent liner. That raised the touch hole higher and presented a better a chance of ignition for the main powder charge to be ignited by the pan charge.

I have one, almost pristine, but have never shot it. I like looking at long rifles, but don't seem to get around to shooting them.. My wife shot hers about a year ago and I shot it once while she was shooting. I seem to gravitate towards plains rifles. That said, I am about to start on a Traditions Shenandoah kit … go figger. Polecat

Patched .490 ball, 50 gn Triple 7. 50 yds. Meat on the table...it's a shooter...I think you will love it. Keep in mind I changed the rear sight on mine cuz it shot very low and I did not want to file the front sight down just yet. May go back to the factory rear sight at some point once I am very familiar with the rifle.
Jan 2021.jpg

Been shooting to get a good patch ,its getting better and starting to group a little. Ill start adjusting sights to get them close.

Attachments

• 0203211355a.jpg
    0203211355a.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 63
Did a few shots yesterday still havent touched sites , breaking barrel in goex 2 F 50 grains 25 yrds standing with hand against a post the target needs to be turned so the 3 shot group is left not top

Attachments

• 0219211233.jpg
    0219211233.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 54
Shot mine a couple of days ago. I did go back to the factory fixed rear sight, and have been adjusting for the tall front sight. I have ordered a shorter front sight (still correct for the rifle) from Dixie Gun Works, but will compensate until it arrives. This was 25 yds off hand as well. 50 grains of Triple 7 on the left and 55 grains on the right. Fun rifle to shoot for sure.
25 yds 50 gn T7.JPEG.jpg25 yds 55 gn T7.JPEG.jpg

Did a few shots yesterday still havent touched sites , breaking barrel in goex 2 F 50 grains 25 yrds standing with hand against a post the target needs to be turned so the 3 shot group is left not top
What caliber is your frontier?
I have a .54 - and it likes a 70 gr charge of 3F and a .535 ball, .010 patch.
It will bughole at 50 yards if I do my part.....

I don’t have one, but my buddy does, it shoots right with my lyman GPR. His is a 50 caliber and my GPR is 54. I’ve seen a thread or two on this site about redoing a frontier rifle and making it look really really nice, in my opinion, they look pleasing from the factory, but these guys went the extra mile and made them look outstanding ... I can’t remember who they were now

Back