• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep sight details for rustic bob.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darkhorse

45 Cal.
Reaction score
This is how I built my peeps, best that I can remember anyway.

I drilled and tapped a 8/32 hole through the tang just behind the plug. Great care was taken when drilling as to be square with the bore the drill had to enter the material at a angle. Plus it had to be in the centerline of the bore as the only windage adjustment was with the front sight. I made the first prototype out of a .40 S&W empty case and worked most things out with that. One reason the position of the hole was chosen was to give room for a 8/32 lock washer and nut beneath the tang.
This position beneath the tang was worked flat so the nut would seat without touching the rear of the plug. I wanted both an adjustable sight and one that could be positively locked in position. Where the adjustment screw touched the stock mortice, I drilled it a little deeper for clearance and also chiseled that location for clearance for the lock washer and nut. Then sealed all new wood with Jim Chambers oil finish.
For the final version I cut off a section of 8/32 tangbolt and screwed it into the sight base using J&B weld in the theads to lock it in place. If you don't do this the sight will rotate on the screw when you try to tighten it or could get bumped off center easily in the woods. By turning the screw up one complete turn you move the sight .031" The photo's of the first 2 prototypes should give an idea of how things work.
If making a peep for a straight barrel just measure the height of your current sights and that will get you real close. On the other hand a swamped barrel is more difficult to get the sights right. Best way I’ve found is to just make the front sight higher so you just file off the top of the blade until the rifle is sighted in.

I used 1/8” X 1/2” weldable steel for the peep. But a small piece of 1/8" thick angle iron might be easier. Either one will need to be shaped to suit yourself.
I made the one on my .54 a little different, I left the 10-32 screw intact but still locked in place with JB Weld as I feel it's a little stronger than it is with the screw top removed.
I painted the peep with flat black spray paint to help reduce glare and give a good sharp sight picture.
I make my front sights using a brass base and a .100" thick weldable steel post. The base has a rectangular hole with relief cut into the brass. The bottom of the steel sight has a peg that fits the hole cut into the bottom of the blade. The blade is turned upside down and held in a vise and the brass base is fit over the peg. Using small punches the steel is bradded out to fill the rectangular hole. Done right this locks the front sight blade into the base. If you feel it's needed it can also be braised on the top of the base.
I suggest making the blade taller than neccessary. Then raising the sight 2 full turns and lock in Place. Now sight in elevation by filing down the blade. This will allow 2 full turns down adjustment to the rear peep.

SS850033-800x600.jpg

SS850030-800x600.jpg

SS850037-800x600.jpg

clip_image004.gif

Last edited:
I notice I left some details out so here's a little more information.

I might of miss it but what was your finished sight made from?(looks great)

Mine was made from a piece of weldable steel 1/8" thick bought from Ace Hardware. Weldable will rust or take browning, the other type they sell won't. I cut a piece to width and length, calculate the distance above the barrel I want (swamped barrels take a little more calculation), then I drill and countersink my peep hole. Then drill and tap a 8/32 hole for mounting. Then place the piece in a vise with the calculated and scribed line even with the top jaw. Heat it a little right at the bend then using a 3 lb. sledge fold it right over, mine are mounted through the tang so the bend is more than a right angle. Then I set up the barrel and drill a tap drill hole through the tang just behind the breech plug, much care is taken because I'm drilling through a surface at an angle. Then using the drill chuck and a tapered rod as a guide I tap a hole full thread through the tang. I cut off a piece of 8/32 threaded bolt and using JB weld I glue the bolt into the threaded hole. The sight is adjustable for height and moves .032" per full revolution. Windage is through the front sight. Mine were drilled nearly dead center of the tang and required very little windage adjustment.
I make a new front sight and take care the blade is high enough to shoot low, then sight in by filing it down.
I don't have the talent most of the builders here have so my rifles are just plain hunting rifles. My goal was a small peep that worked and was as unobtrusive as possible while still providing the desired function.

Mine is adjustable for elevation if needed, but is initially screwed down to contact the tang to get it low to the bore. Sighting in is by the front sight. I made new ones to be sure the post was high enough to file down, windage is by moving the front sight.
I had got to the point where I couldn't see well enough to shoot. I had been thinking of this for awhile and finally did it. Now I'm pretty accurate again. Last season I got an 8 point, a doe, and in the spring got a turkey gobbler w/11" beard.
It mounts by a 8/32 threaded shaft, I drilled and tapped the hole at an angle through the tang so it would travel straight up and down and be on the same plane as the front sight.
It is close to the eye as it's mounted just behind the breech plug and ahead of the tang bolt.
This is my first target shot with the peep.
This the new sight before filing down.
SS850040-800x600.jpg

CCI03062017-0001-514x800.jpg

Back