• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep options on a Deerslayer?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canuck Bob

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I put a Lyman peep on my Deerslayer. Works great but it ruins the lines of the rifle. It has to go.

I'm wondering about a simpler peep that sits on the tang, TC makes one but I like the Pedersoli version better. I don't mind a little tweaking with a file for fit or drilling and tapping.

How about soule types or lever action type tang sights?

This rifle is a dedicated patched ball shooter. It is already more accurate than me offhand.

This is about as cheap and simple as it gets, just a modified 10x32 thumb screw from the hardware store set into a drilled and tapped hole in the tang with an elevation lock nut.
nepeep3.jpg

And this is a little more elaborate one with provision for windage adjustment.
newpeep2.jpg

There are several folding tang sights made for lever action rifles which can be used on ML rifles but since the ML rifle tangs are short those sights have to be set on the wood which makes the mounting not so sturdy.

If the taps on the tang are spaced right for the Lyman, they ought to fit this one just fine. I don't have a Deerslayer to check, but if I owned one it would be wearing this sight if at all possible. They're small and out of the way, yet adjustable for both elevation and windage.

The rifle is a Lyman Deerstalker! Edit seems closed. I was reading about the Davis Deerslayer trigger I think!

That makes it easier!

I put the TC sight on my wife's Lyman Deerstalker. It was a straight drop-in with no drilling and tapping.

Only thing is that front sight is high enough that the TC sight had to be adjusted just about to max elev. My wife wanted her sights lower and I didn't like being at the end of the adjustment range, so I changed out the front sight. The orginal is a .500 as I recall, but I can't tell you now whether I installed a .300 or .350. Whatever the case, she's just about used up her welcome in all our neighborhood shoots. No one will challenge her now, if that tells you enough about how well it suits her!

Back