• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep/globe combo for hunting?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA.flinter

32 Cal
Reaction score
I have a Lyman GPR with a tang peep and I’m thinking about trying a globe up front. Strictly a hunting rifle, no target/competition for me

Thoughts? Post pics/details if you have this kind of setup

Last edited:
I too have a tang sight on my GPR but found that a globe front sight was slow to acquire on a target (deer) especially it the deer is moving. I found that a fiber optic front sight was just what i needed to be quick on the target. Sorta like a red dot scope.

I too have a tang sight on my GPR but found that a globe front sight was slow to acquire on a target (deer) especially it the deer is moving. I found that a fiber optic front sight was just what i needed to be quick on the target. Sorta like a red dot scope.
I never liked fiber optics. I feel like I cover a ton of the target. I also don’t take moving shots with a flintlock so thats no concern for me.
I’m either going to put a narrower front blade on the gun, or a globe. Haven’t decided yet

I have a Lyman peep and globe sight combo on one of my GPRs. It is definitely more accurate for me at the range but I tried it hunting a couple times 15 years ago and gave up on it for woods hunting. Seems I lost 5-10 min of evening shooting light, and that is by far the most productive time for the farm I hunt. Found it much easier to use the standard rear sight and a silver blade and on most occasions, I could see right to the end of legal shooting time.

I am 57 and the last couple of years, I have been having a harder time with open sights. Reluctantly, this year I replaced the sights on my hunting rifle with a set of fiber optic sights. Personally, I don't like them and will try going back to the standard rear/ silver blade front combo before our laaaaaate muzzleloading season in 4 weeks. For me, the red front sight dissapears in low light. I've actually been hunting with my peep/globe sighted rifle because I could hunt a little longer, but still had to quit a few minutes early.

For me, the red front sight dissapears in low light. I've actually been hunting with my peep/globe sighted rifle because I could hunt a little longer, but still had to quit a few minutes early.
Red is the first color on the spectrum to disappear to the human eye as light fades, which is why every pin on my bow sight is green

but I’m not worried about a few minutes lost if I switch to a globe

I actually have quit hunting as late in the evening now, two (2) reasons.

Looking for critters that run off in the dark is not fun. Once finding them, then cleaning them with a flashlight is no fun
Those are extremely poor reasons to not go hunt… IMO

Ravenousfishing, try unscrewing the rear peep and looking through the threaded hole as a ghost ring.

That is what I went to on one rifle. I lost a hog because, even in the middle of the day the aperture was too small. I removed the peep aperture and installed a globe front sight with a semi-crosshair(The crosshairs are just stubbed out from the sides. Nothing in the middle.) insert. Works great with good visibility.

in 60+ years of hunting, i can only remember 2 deer i ever shot after 3pm.
those were brought out in the dark. didn't much care for it, what with wolves circling just out side of the light beam. and being very vocal.
i would bet 85% of the deer i have gotten were killed between 10am and 3pm.
as one gets older it just isn't that important to hunt from dark to dark.

to get back to topic, i have found that a peep and globe allows me to be as good a shot as i thought i was. minute of heart/lungs.

IMO, a globe front sight is for the target range. I spent many years behind such sights, and it was about choices of front inserts when the light changed. For sure, the concentric circles of the aperture and globe aid in alignment, but that same globe blocks field of view. In the woods when the light is rarely ever as bright as the open target range, a narrow blade or small diameter bead is better. Filing a small flat on a 45 degree angle on the rear of the front sight will help it reflect available light, but without glowing like a fiber optic.

I use the fiber optic front and peep on the receiver(for unmentioned firearms) or tang, I’m more accurate that way

Back