• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Peep/globe sights for hunting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I used Tritium archery sight pins.
I can't find them, so I will get some 1.5mm x 6mm vials, and make some new ones....someday!

Last edited:
Thank you everyone for your ideas. It sounds like a peep rear with a blade front might work well. Does anyone else have a favorite hunting sight set up? Does anyone use any tricks that are more historically correct like German silver/brass blades? I’m not stuck on being HC but am interested in what works for everyone.

-10Ga
Ya know, as we grow older and our vision deteriorates, sometimes a fella has to do what he has to do in order to keep hunting with a sidelock ML. I'd very much like to maintain period correct but not if it means I can no longer shoot accurately.

For this ole boy, its a peep and some sort of taller fiber optic front bead.

Good luck on your search.

Personally, I do not see how "most" globe front sights are good during hunting, especially in low light conditions.

My GPR is now wearing a Lyman 57 peep that I drilled out the aperture some. I still have the factory front bead but am looking to change that to something better. And here is the reason why. Last week I took it out squirrel hunting and could not, for the life of me, see the front bead to align it on a squirrel that was close up. And it was not due to the peep. I could see the squirrel just fine.

It is to my belief that unless someone has some sort of front bead that illuminates well (such as the one BS has posted) then any other front globe sight would be counter productive for many hunting applications, especially during lower light conditions, which is often the most critical time.
all of my hunting guns wear a front sight from Hi-Viz the green works best for extreme low light (almost as early/late as my Leopold scope on my inline) maybe not period for all you hard core buckskiners but it works especially for these almost 70 year old eyes

My only peeps are on cartridge guns but I have no issue using them in various lighting conditions

Ghost rings work well too, better than buck horn or other open sights, but they do lose a bit of precision for me.

But tbh when shooting the front stuffer the relatively crude (compared to my scopes, dots, peeps, etc) sights are all part of it. Otherwise I may as well be shooting modern stuff - certainly would be cheaper, easier etc :)

Recall if you will the old and new movies where the shooter licked his thumb and rubbed the front sight? It adds a bit of spit to the tip of the front sight and shines briefly for a “glow” if you will.

personally I love the old full buckhorns rear and rarely use the tiny notch in the bottom … rather I use the full buckhorn as a barrel mounted peep and center the blade in the full curl. Allows plenty of light around the blade which gives me an unobstructed view of my target. Also when added yardage is required I move the top of the blade to the slightly open top of the horns on the rear buckhorn sight for an instant yardage enhancement.

I currently own a .22 with peep sights and a circle front target sight. I love it and can shoot it very accurately. I currently am working on a .54 GPR and am not very impressed with the factory sights. Does anyone have good luck with globe sights for hunting? Or do you have other sights for a GPR that you like?

-10Ga
I put a peep sight from YOKE OF THE OX on my Traditions Deerhunter flintlock recently. It has a fiber optic front sight that is finer in size than the fiber sight that comes on the gun. The peep is solid and although adjustable, the hole itself is not. I have been getting sub 2" groups at 75yds.

i have switched all of my traditional rifles to the Johnson peep and a adjustable iris it allows me to be competitive and when hunting i just remove the aperture far more accurate then i can hold any more

Latest posts

Back