• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Globe front sights

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you who have used peeps and globe sights on any type gun did you like them. I'm NOT TALKING HUNTING.
I'm looking at a lyman globe front sight with skinny post in it with small round dot on top of the post.
I also may try a not globe but dovetail front sight with brass dot on top.
I'm just trying my best to find something I can see. I'm seeing my thick blade post fairly well but it gets fuzzy at top of post so that causes me to string shots vertically.
Thankyou very much
I really don't want to go unmentionables with
scope.

Crow, i was having a terrible time seeing my front sights. Just by forgetfulness i shot a target with my reading glasses on. made a world of difference .
i also switched to the TC globe front with different inserts. i settled on the tiny circle one. center it on the bull, center the front in the peep and it shrunk my groups to groups instead of patterns.

Thanks
I hope to find a insert that I can hit a squirrels head out to maybe 30 yards.
I said in my pist not for hunting. I said that to maybe stop a big debate before it started. Lol
Getting you feed back confirms for me to go ahead and get the globe.
Thanks again

and Lee Shaver Gunsmithing sells the best inserts available for the Lyman globe. Very thin wire and various aperture sizes. (the small circular one Deerstalker’s talking about

CROW - Before you go buy new sights ... if you wear glasses or wear shooting glasses whilst shootin' ... try adding an aperture to your glasses!

I did and I can now see the front sight clearly like I did when I was a kid! Last Winter at our milsurp rifle SAT morning shoots, I was trading off 1st or 2nd place with the Capt of our Rifle Team (our Club sends 30 shooters to Camp Perry every Summer) even when using an ol' black powdah cartridge 1873 Italian Vetterl-Vitali rifle. One day I shot a 10-shot witnessed 4" group with it offhand at 100-yards. Point is ... not bragging mind you, but just illustrating how I can now see the front sight(s)!

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...our-glasses-so-you-can-see-the-sights.160334/

Been threatening for about twenty years to do something with this one.

california front sight.jpg

And these molds need a barrel that will need a good front sight. : )

20 twist.jpg

Ive always called those Lyman 17A globe sights.
My 1871 H&R came with one.
You cant buy just one insert, you get to buy a set, then another set....

It’s counter intuitive, but you may find the large aperture front insert to be more accurate than a small one. Intuition says “the small one gives less error”. The large one however allows more light and gives you better alignment around the target. Play with it and see what works for you.

I have an original "Hackney" M/L percussion target rifle that came with a "globe" (covered) front sight and a leaf rear sight. The actual front sight was a small silver bead atop a very thin metal blade. Unfortunately, some one knocked it over, breaking the sight. I have the tube and the base but the inside is long gone. So ...yes, covered or "Globe" sights were in use in the 19th century.

On my rifle, the bead fit perfectly in the middle of the leaf. So, when aligned, it was quite precise.

I Have used Lyman and Redfield globe front sights with both open and aperture rear sights on my target rifles. Most of the inserts that come with them you will never use. I have had best results using a post inset with open sights and one of the inserts with the hole for aperture sights. you just have to try different inserts to find the ones that work best for you.

Latest posts

Back