• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Globe sight advice

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crow#21957

50 Cal.
Reaction score
I use peep sights now old eyes. I read where the best is a peep with globe front. Is it harder to pick up target? Is it more accurate?
Which globe,,,inserts yes, no
Is there a globe sight that still looks kinda ole muzzeloader style?
I'm pretty aggravated about not being able to see and shoot better. I use to be a dead eye shot with about any gun or bow.

No one uses a globe sight. I really don't want to go back to unmentionable so I could have a scope. And I don't do inlines or put a scope on any style ML. I just can't find the right sight set up for my old eyes. It sucks I'm sure as you know.

I can help you with Globe sights, although they really didn’t come into vogue until single-shot cartridge rifles came onto the scene, late 1800s. I even have a few types I could sell you, very reasonable too, or you are welcome to borrow one 1st to try it out (if you have a dovetail on the front).

However, with that said, before you do anything, try this - lookie here:

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...our-glasses-so-you-can-see-the-sights.160334/

These various pin hole attachments are referred to as a diopter sighting aid and even though there is no magnification in these attachments, the attachment is still referred to as a diopter. They do work to bring the sights into focus much as a pin hole "lens" brings the view through the pin hole into focus for incredibly long depth of field. A drawback is that diopters are not permitted for some types of matches. In the same matches peep sights are also not permitted. Yeah, discrimination against us older shooters with presbyopia (old age far sightedness). Another drawback is that more light is needed for clear sighting.

The globe front sights (time to get back to an answer to the original posting) often come with a collection of various inserts to be installed. I have found for shooting at a round target a circular insert sized so the target ring is centered in the sights is best. The eyes simply want to align all those circles and our muscles want to keep all those circles in line. For hunting, the post insert may be better as there is less of the insert to obstruct the target. As always there is often not one answer for all conditions. Choices depend on how one wants to get the desired result.

@Crow#21957, this thread might get more comments if it were moved to the Shooting Accessories Forum

Latest posts

Back