• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Scout vs Traditions Crockett

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Micah Clark

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Just a simple quick, perhaps silly question. I have a Traditions Crockett. I like the basic aesthetics of it. . size, weight, etc, etc.

I have never held or seen a Pedersoli Scout anywhere but online. . . I am considering one in .32.

Has anyone here held or perhaps owned the Scout or both? Are they similar?

Crockett fits me fine, at 5'10 - I think the Scout and Crockett both have a 13.5 inch L.O.P. . but Scout looks tiny in a lot of pics. . perhaps odd proportions, but that's just a picture. I will certainly try to hold one before I buy the Pedersoli. . just doing my research now. Thanks !!

I, too, have owned and used a Crockett .32. I did have a Pedersoli "Cub" in .50 which I believe to be very much like the Scout. The Cub was wonderful to shoulder and fire as is the Crockett. But they are totally different in their heft and feel. The Scout is likely to be better fitted and finished than the Crockett but my Crockett was fitted quite well, also. The Pedersoli guns are simply "nicer" than Traditions although it will vary from piece to piece.

I've had some problems with my Crockett, and the breech plug gap that some have, which snags patches, jags and rods about drives me nuts. But a more experienced shooter may do better with it.

I am looking at the Pedersoli because I believe it to be a step up and a much better gun. . but the Crockett has its positives, too. Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it.

I have a scout in a 36 cal. but mine is a 14 1/2 trigger pull. the gun is a little barrel heavy but shoots very well.

Odd that a carbine that looks so short would be barrel heavy . . Its not as long as the Crockett, by about 3 inches, I think. Thanks for the info.

Got my scout finally, if I had the option to purchase the crockett or the scout, knowing what I know now I wouldn't even be comparing the two! Definitely the scout has a higher level of quality and finish out of the box. Now... IMO the scout still is a production gun, that said if I was spending what dixie sells this little smoke pole for I'd definitely be building a dedicaded .32 over buying. However, for the $400 I got mine for, there was no contemplating the purchase!

I am looking at a Scout kit at dixie . . . but also a more full fledged kit at TVM which is pretty expensive, but not a ton more . . .I've just not done the kit thing before. Not worried about the Pedersoli kit, they are 90-95% done, nearly in the white already, but the Tenn. Valley Muzzleloaders is a true kit requiring some skill, but the parts are top notch. . but it looks as though I've found a builder in my town . .so I may attempt the TVM if he will agree to guide me through the tricky stuff. I do like that the scout is Walnut. . that would cost a ton with TVM.

I wouldn't hesitate to spend the extra on the TVM versus a scout. Building is going to be as hard as you make it. If you have basic skills and take the process SLOW, you'll be rewarded. However, it's your money and you certainly have the right to do as you please. I've just been in your shoes and can honestly say the extra money spent is beyond worth it. I vowed to never buy a production ML again due to the ability of me being able to produce a gun built with my own hands, and with a much higher level of quality. Well... I lied obviously, but the scout for the price was certainly worth it. Yet I'm still modifying the gun to fit exactly how I want, and clean up the factory blemishes. Depending on what exactly your looking for, both are winners IMO, but the TVM will hold a higher level of quality and value. :thumbsup:

One thing that might be significant is that I am left handed, and I can make the TVM in left hand. . .not so for the Pedersoli.

However, what I most want is accuracy for squirrel hunting. TVM offers good barrel manufacturers from all I have read.

Thanks !

Latest posts

Back