• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli 10 ga vs .58 x 12 ga

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leaux

32 Cal
Reaction score
Hi all,

I first just want to thank everyone for all of the free advice and knowledge from posts that I've read for the past couple of years. A little background about me is that I have bowhunted for most of my life and haven't been too successful. Living in southern Ca, public land is far from the city and the deer population isn't extremely dense. Being frustrated at the lack of game, I wanted to come up with a way to have a better change to come home with some sort of meat- the areas that I hunt are plentiful with upland bird.

The past year I decided to buy a muzzleloader, a Pedersoli 10 ga sxs kit, with the thought that if my deer hunts go bad, I always have the opportunity to shoot small game and/or birds. I've been able to pattern the cylinder bore with a round ball to be accurate at around 40 yards and have patterned both barrels with birdshot with a good spread of around 25-35 yards. I currently see that Dixie Gun Works is currently in stock with a Pedersoli kodiak combination gun and am wondering if someone can talk me in or out of buying one. I've always been interested in a firearm like that since I started researching muzzleloaders but am curious to what the more experienced people think of that particular gun for my application.

Thanks for all the help!
Lawrence

I don't think that the 58 barrel will give you much better accuracy than you have already. If you are truly interested in a combination gun or Cape gun, keep an eye out on Gunbroker or other weapon sales sites. The pic I have as my avatar is a .44 cal. X 16 Gauge Cape Gun that I bought years ago for about $500.00 on Gunbroker. The 44 barrel is rifled and shoots a PRB into 2"@50 yards, while the 16 Ga. patterns just like a modern IC barrel. BTW - I've shot hogs with both of the barrels and they were all DRT!

Can be limiting to your second shot capability. Which capability is a big reason for carrying a double gun. A ball is not much use on a covey rise. And birdshot is unlikely to drop a deer 30 yards out.

OTH they are called Cape guns, I'm told, because the Afrikaners had a wide variety of game species and liked the versatility these guns offered. They could take a bird or an antelope with the same gun.

I have one which I find very convenient, but it is an unmentionable.

Thanks for all the info! Apologies in advance, this might be a very dumb question but are people with single shot shotguns at an extreme disadvantage when bird hunting?

I've never felt that I was at a disadvantage using a single shot rifle, shotgun OR pistol.

I have M/L combination guns and so called unmentionables and do not feel under gunned at all when hunting with them. Like you I go hunting to bring home some meat so usually hunt with some kind of double barrel . I just prefer them over all others .Also I have a couple of double rifles for times I am just after big game . Double guns are my favorite and I have found most people that have never used one do not know how useful they are and do not understand why anyone would use one LOL

Also forgot to say I do have the Pedersoli double 50 cal and love it they are a little heavy but really well made and accurate

I'd like to thank everyone on this thread. Appreciate the advice all, seems like it's a personal opinion type thing above anything else!

I have the Pedersoli 1853 Enfield 58 cal. That shoots high, with the fixed sight. Do you know where I can get a taller sight to solder on the barrel that I can later file down to be on target?

I have the Pedersoli 1853 Enfield 58 cal. That shoots high, with the fixed sight. Do you know where I can get a taller sight to solder on the barrel that I can later file down to be on target?
I have a 58 Musketoon. When i got it it shot high at 25 yards. After l found a minie it liked and shot under 3moa i spent more time on the range. I learned holding a fine bead it hit poa at 25 yards, holding a full bead was dead on at 75 yards,

I posted my experience here and was told by an English Musket competitor that's how the original muskets were sighted.

I hope this helps.

Back