• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Muzzeloading 10 Gauge Shotgun

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jdavisward

Pilgrim
Reaction score
I cannot get a steel shot load to work well with a 10 gauge Pedersoli shotgun. Does any one have any suggestions?

steel shot in a muzzleloader does not fly. I have tried in a 12 ga bore brown bess with shot cups. they will also destroy your barrel. so I gave up on water fowl.

I had one and plastic cups seemed to wok well? I had choke tubes (A PIA to screw out load cup and screw in Xtra full for ducks though!)

Per above post just use ITX, expensive but you can practice with lead and shooting over decoys it's still cheaper than centerfire duck loads!

I sold mine as barrels shot right/right and left left and I couldn't get used to remembering to aim right then left! :(

azmntman said:
I had one and plastic cups seemed to wok well? I had choke tubes (A PIA to screw out load cup and screw in Xtra full for ducks though!)

Per above post just use ITX, expensive but you can practice with lead and shooting over decoys it's still cheaper than centerfire duck loads!

I sold mine as barrels shot right/right and left left and I couldn't get used to remembering to aim right then left! :(
all you needed was a new file to regulate those barrels :td:

Please excuse --I'm new to using this forum!

You wrote:

What brand cups and what do you mean by PIA?

Ballistic Products makes a wad that is called Multi-Metal that works with all the non-toxic shot.

Can you direct me to the information on regulating the barrels with a file? I have the same problem with my SXS 10 gauge. Thanks!

Dowrat said:
Can you direct me to the information on regulating the barrels with a file? I have the same problem with my SXS 10 gauge. Thanks!
I know not where the information is only that I have done it
to a couple of sxs shotguns. A Pedersoli of no choke tubes was one.
If a guns right barrel shoots right and you still have the gun shouldered some barrel muzzle or crown needs removeing from the right side. Remember this is with a shouldered or mounted gun.
So, with the gun now butt down and bead closest to you a file is layed across the muzzle and biased to the right side of the muzzle.
Usually there is a bevel or countersunk finish to Pedersoli muzzles. Just file down to that and test. Just remove a little at a time .5 mm or .020". It does not take much.
Once poi is achieved polish and finish the muzzle.

Now get ready for the na sayers!

B.

Britsmoothy, I'm not a nay- sayer, but I am confused ...

now, if my right hand barrel shoots to the right, I take the (obviously unloaded) gun and look at it with the butt between my feet, the muzzle pointed up the bead at the top, and the barrels in my left hand ... the offending barrel will be on the left (facing me from this direction)...

I put the file on the muzzles and take off a bit to my left, as I see the arrangement?

aaaargh ... dyslexia skcus!

ok, I understand your instructions, Britsmoothy. However, my SXS has internal screw in choke tubes. This complicates things I suppose.

Better yet! Don't have to worry about messing up the barrel, just the screw ins. 1st I'd make sure to score the tube(s) and the barrel so they are in the same place each time inserted. Then file away and if ya screw up yer out a tube. Likely have to do each tube though. I have never done it, didnt now ya could before I got tired of trying to remember to shoot right/right and left/left! Wish I had my pedersoli 10GA back now!

MSW said:
Britsmoothy, I'm not a nay- sayer, but I am confused ...

now, if my right hand barrel shoots to the right, I take the (obviously unloaded) gun and look at it with the butt between my feet, the muzzle pointed up the bead at the top, and the barrels in my left hand ... the offending barrel will be on the left (facing me from this direction)...

I put the file on the muzzles and take off a bit to my left, as I see the arrangement?

aaaargh ... dyslexia skcus!

Note;
"So, with the gun now butt down and beadclosest to you a file is layed across the muzzle and biased to the right side of the muzzle".

Yes, mark the tubes and using that reference do the same procedure.

About the comment about if you screw up you only lose a choke tube! You really are not going to have to remove that much barrel end so as to destroy the barrels! If that happens it is you at fault, not the procedure!
If one does get it wrong all you have to do is flat it all off again, go back to the pattern board and start over again.
Once your happy you can spend all the time you want polishing to the point that no one will ever know.

If you ever get chance to look at an old English shot gun breech loader or front hold it up and look across the muzzles, you may just be surprised what you see! :thumbsup:

B.

Latest posts

Back