• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Don

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Finally decided to drop some cash on a higher end pistol so I ordered a Pedersoli Kentucky pistol in .50 cal percussion. My CVA's have served me well but I figured it was time to spend a little more than I'm used to. Dixie had the Pedersoli on sale so I sprang for it. Do any of you other guys own one? If so can you comment on quality and accuracy of the piece? I've always been told "you get what you pay for" so I should do well by this purchase. Let me know your experiences with Pedersoli pistols.

Thanks

Don

Keep your powder loads mild.

The Pedersoli Kentucky uses the nose cap to retain the forward part of the barrel in the stock.

Their method here is to have a small area of the wood sticking from the front of the stock.
This projection ends up being between the inside of the muzzle cap and the underside of the barrel.
A screw passes from the bottom of the muzzle cap, thru the projection and into the bottom of the barrel.

This design works OK as long as the powder load is not heavy or a heavy bullet is used.

If the recoil of the barrel is too great, that wooden stock projection has been known to shear off.

If your worried about this and you have some experience in installing barrel underlugs and cutting a clearance pocket for it, you can install a round pin thru the wood and the underlug to hold the barrel in place.

When I restocked my Pedersoli Kentucky pistol with this curly maple stock which I carved from a block of wood, I decided I would install a barrel underlug and pin the barrel in place.
You can see the location of the pin in the center of the star escutcheon.
p01.jpg

I took my .54 flint to Friendship back in September. Shoots pretty good with 30 grains of 3F. :thumbsup:

_MG_67353.jpg

How much powder is too much? I probably won't go any higher than 30 to 35 grains of Pyrodex RS but might occasionally shoot 40 grains, is that too much?

Don

Mine is a .54. Good quality, nice wood to metal fit, nicely finished. Lock functions fine with no work necessary. Good pistol, fun to shoot.

IMG_5227-1-1-1.jpg

There's also a simple way to reinforce the wood piece under the nosecap. Just drill two holes in the end and insert two metal rods. You can use a drill bit cut down to the right length for the rods. Just use a bit of epoxy on it (work a bit into the hole first) and tap it into place.

6303793993_9defb3712e_z.jpg

Very nice work Zonie and from a 'block of wood', impressive indeed. :hatsoff:

I found my Pedersoli flinter to be very accurate with 30grs of pyrodex RS fffg with a .490 patched at .015. I did have my gunsmith pard shorten the barrel to 7". I just didn't like the longer barrel and wouldn't have used it as much as I do now. I also replaced the front sight with a silver blade sight, and I browned all the parts with plum brown. Now I just love this pistol and oh how well balanced with the shorter barrel. Made a big difference since I sometimes carry it in bear country.... The plate target shows first shot high until I touched the front sight with a file. Second shot was dead center at 25 yards off-handed. I am pleased!!!!
http://gallery.me.com/ridersofthesage#101050

Last edited by a moderator:
Very nice looking pistol, Headshot...Some nice shooting also. Who did the work on that? Been looking for someone to build one along those lines

His name is Mike Comola and he lives in Cedarville, CA!! If you think the pistol is good.....you ought the see the rifle he built for me this year......Unreal!!! If you get interested "pm" me and I will be happy to provide you with contact info!!! I will let him know you liked what you saw and thanks for saying........Jim

I bought a .50 cal flintlock version several years ago and have been very happy. 20-25 grains of powder is about the right amount of 3F with a .490 patched round ball. I had to replace the front sight to get it on the bulls eye a 25 yards. Good luck.

Got out to try the Kentucky and I must say I'm pleased. I shot 30 grains of Pyro RS with a .490 ball and a .010 patch. Once I filed down the front sight a little and got the POI up and on target I was very pleased with the groups I shot. Still need to tinker with the sights a little but so far so good. Well made piece and accurate. Thanks for the replies gents, I appreciate it. :thumbsup:

Don

Mine is a .45. I got it 15 years ago when they cost less. Only thing I regret is not matching the caliber with my other rifle. It's a .36 caliber Pedersoli Frontier. Makes more sense to match them so I won't have to buy or carry different balls, patches etc.

Back