• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky .50 Thoughts ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very true, everyone has different opinions on the architecture style, materials, and so on that make a piece "authentic" or period correct. They also have differing opinions on the importance of PC in their pursuit of the hobby. Regardless they are all reproductions, even the hand forged living history projects and bench copies, unless of course you are shooting an original.

As I have learned more about "trade rifles" I understand they were built by smiths of varying skill from a pattern and varied, sometimes, considerably from one to the next. In that view production guns and semi customs can be seen modern extensions of such.

Muzzloading rifles were produced by thousands of makers in thousands of locations across this country from colonial times to the 20th century. In fact muzzloading rifles have possibly been produced continously from the 1700s on if you link in contemporary makers, and the old Appalachian smiths.

There are many styles, schools, time periods, locations etc. to chose from the variety may be endless. As said above it is a matter of opinion what a shooter chooses.

The Missus used Her Pedersoli Scout , in .50 cal. caplock at many of the shoots we had attended. She shot it well but when I tried shooting it, probably because of the Roman Nose stock design, it prove to be a cheek buster on me !!

The Missus used Her Pedersoli Scout , in .50 cal. caplock at many of the shoots we had attended. She shot it well but when I tried shooting it, probably because of the Roman Nose stock design, it prove to be a cheek buster on me !!

Just turn me loose with a rasp....
scout.jpg

Usually an extremely heavy trigger pull. The Scout/Dixie Cub or Pennsylvania with the set triggers is a better buy if you like reasonable triiger pull weights.

Oh and I would not buy ANYTHING off of gunbroker.
I own one now, yes it is a beefy project…
But SOLID. I enjoy a good challange , honeing a sear for a 4lb release shouldnt be that much trouble.
The rifle to me just seems to be a modern engineering example, more Hawken than Kentucky, ( that is just MY opinion).
Anyone can control a heavy trigger pull, if you understand the mechanics of it all..
again just my thinking.
Can anyone tell me the history of the double set single barrel set up ? Would be intetesting to me to know some back story on the double set.
Thanks ! Enjoy your day .

Back