• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Kentucky .50 Thoughts ?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
my wife has a 45 Capp lock
shots.jpg
made in 1974 that looks just like it. i done a trigger job on it, she shoots with us men that have custom rifles and gives us a run for our money. here is a couple of shots she shot offhand at 50yds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I think everyone was making quality in 1974.

To make anything else would have meant ruin for any somewhat fledgling Spanish or Italian gun company.

There were real craftsman and skilled workers back then.

Now we have CNC machinery to spit parts out lightning fast, but no skilled craftsman to tweak the final product to perfection.

Close is good enough, as people are standing in line to throw money at substandard products.

My son and I both have Peds...bought in the early 90's. A PA in 45, and Cub in 50. No issues and great workmanship. Had a 45 Kentucky back in the early 90's and traded it off. The guy put a double trigger in it. Now sorry I sold it off. By the way all are flintlocks.

I have that rifle in 45. Bought it off GunBroker for a steal. It was a very poorly put together percussion kit. I completely disassembled it, converted it to flintlock, and started over on it. The trigger pull was absolutely horrible, and the lock needed a lot of tuning before it would spark reliably and not shatter flints. And yes, I bought a factory new Pedersoli made flintlock for the conversion.
My experience is that Pedersoli makes a beautiful rifle that will be very accurate as long as you are willing to put in the work to tune it up properly. So, I guess I say if you can get one used at a really good price go for it. I wouldn't pay a premium to buy one new. They're not worth it.

Your milage may vary. Just my 2 cents.

I Ran across a deal on a .50 flinter last summer, picked it up to resell.
While there are all the complaints that come with a ped. Whatever the brown stuff is that they dip the barrel in. Heavy trigger, not quite right lines.
I gotta say this thing is accurate! First shot to see where the sights Are set, then 3 shots touching at 50 yards.
It's not a pretty gun, but it will make meat!

Attachments

• 20230716_061320.jpg
    20230716_061320.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 0
I think everyone was making quality in 1974.

To make anything else would have meant ruin for any somewhat fledgling Spanish or Italian gun company.

There were real craftsman and skilled workers back then.

Now we have CNC machinery to spit parts out lightning fast, but no skilled craftsman to tweak the final product to perfection.

Close is good enough, as people are standing in line to throw money at substandard products.
1974 was/is very different from now. Yes the old stuff really was better.

my wife has a 45 Capp lockView attachment 238976 made in 1974 that looks just like it. i done a trigger job on it, she shoots with us men that have custom rifles and gives us a run for our money. here is a couple of shots she shot offhand at 50yds,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
1974 was/is very different from now. Yes the old stuff was better.

I have a Pedersoli Flintlock Kentucky in .50 cal. I bought it about 15 years ago and it's well put together and has a nice looking walnut stock. It also has double set triggers. The very first shot I took with it I hit a clay pigeon at 50 yards. I like it well enough and have 3 other Pedersoli guns that I think are good quality and shoot well. My favorite is the 1861 Springfield. It looks the part and shoots great.

I have a Pedersoli Kentucky in .50 cal. I bought it about 15 years ago and it's well put together and has a nice looking walnut stock. It also has double set triggers. The very first shot I took with it I hit a clay pigeon at 50 yards. I like it well enough and have 3 other Pedersoli guns that I think are good quality and shoot well. My favorite is the 1861 Springfield. It looks the part and shoots great.
Yours's has set triggers. The modern version has a single trigger that can be very heavy in pull. Like it is with everything, the older the better!

I have a Pedersoli Flintlock Kentucky in .50 cal. I bought it about 15 years ago and it's well put together and has a nice looking walnut stock. It also has double set triggers. The very first shot I took with it I hit a clay pigeon at 50 yards. I like it well enough and have 3 other Pedersoli guns that I think are good quality and shoot well. My favorite is the 1861 Springfield. It looks the part and shoots great.
That’s about the same vintage as my Pedersoli Pennsylvania .50 flint. The build quality was definitely better in those times and before.

Yours's has set triggers. The modern version has a single trigger that can be very heavy in pull. Like it is with everything, the older the better!
Yes, it has set triggers and it's a little heavy but crisp. I have no complaints about it at all.
20230725_183138.jpg

My first flintlock was a .50 Pedersoli Kentucky I bought new in '91 or '92 for $250. I posted about my experience with this gun a few months ago so I won't go into the detail now I did at that time. The fit and finish are extremely good. The trigger pull is horrible and it uses those small 1/2 inch flints which don't last very long, and it is nearly impossible to keep the touch hole liner clean. It is very accurate, and I shot it for many years before acquiring my next flintlock. I have placed very high in club shoots and territorial matches with it. I eventually messed up the lock trying to lighten the trigger pull as explained in more detail in that earlier post. I ordered a new lock and shot it in one state shoot, then retired it and began to exclusively shoot my other flintlocks. Just two weeks ago I received my Pedersoli 1777 Charville I ordered from DGW. I haven't had a chance to take it to the range yet. I thought it would have a terrible trigger pull due to the lock size, but the trigger pull is very light compared to what I was expecting. It may be a difference in models, or Pedersoli may have corrected that problem.

Let me know your thoughts on this new
Ped Kentucky, very nice fitting, finish you would expect.
A little “ beefy” , heavy to me compared to the other Kentucky’s I have.

Send me your thoughts opinions
Don’t forget the class this is in…
I truly like mine even though it has a Covid Period finish. Trigger could be better but that can be sorted out. I stripped the "finish" from the stock and re did it and it looks much, much better than factory. I also browned and coned the barrel and it resulted in a really nice looking gun. Look up my thread of when I did all of this to see the transformation. All of this said, unless it is an English Trade Gun, my next gun will have dbl set triggers.

A mass produced copy of something that never was.
I beg to differ. It doesn't take a lot of looking to find period rifles of similar design. The photo attached are two I found on an auction site. Both are percussion with shorter "long rifle barrels" ~37" and ~34" close to the Pedersoli 35" one is .45 and the other .52.

Attachments

• 773_1-1920x527.jpg
    773_1-1920x527.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 0
I beg to differ. It doesn't take a lot of looking to find period rifles of similar design. The photo attached are two I found on an auction site. Both are percussion with shorter "long rifle barrels" ~37" and ~34" close to the Pedersoli 35" one is .45 and the other .52.
The Peder Kentuck I have seems to have elements of both of those. Besides, only person that should care is me and I really like mine.

Back