• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

pedersoli great plains

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I am wanting to buy my first flintlock. I am a stock maker. Would I regret buying and assembling a pedersoli great plains flintlock kit? I just don't know the pros and cons to doing this. I don't mind doing the metal prep and bluing. I plan on turning a new stock and putting it (black walnut) on instead of the factory wood that comes with it. I anticipate the factory wood will be very plain. Will it be a good shooter when I'm done if I do my part well? Thank you for any advice.

I clicked on the add at the top of the page and couldn't find either a Great Plains rifle or any kit sets , Is this the Lyman Great Plains made by Pedersoli ? If so it seems to get good reviews from members of this forum and others on the internet . . If you get nice wood but it still isn't up to your standards you can always sell the stock later . As to ,will it be a good shooter when you are done , If you don't rush it , get good advise off this forum and do a good job then there is no reason why it shouldn't be a good shooter .

I clicked on the add at the top of the page and couldn't find either a Great Plains rifle or any kit sets , Is this the Lyman Great Plains made by Pedersoli ? If so it seems to get good reviews from members of this forum and others on the internet . . If you get nice wood but it still isn't up to your standards you can always sell the stock later . As to ,will it be a good shooter when you are done , If you don't rush it , get good advise off this forum and do a good job then there is no reason why it shouldn't be a good shooter .
Hey cutfinger it's a Lyman great plains but in a "signature series". I think the signature series is made by Pedersoli for Lyman. The kit is on a web site. There are several being sold by different stores on the internet. Good idea on selling the stock. Buying the kit I just didn't want to have any regrets, or very many at least. Thanks man!

If you make your own stock why would you get a kit? It will cost less and you can get better quality by just buying a bunch of parts and building from scratch.

If you make your own stock why would you get a kit? It will cost less and you can get better quality by just buying a bunch of parts and building from scratch.
I was thinking to build my own it would cost $325 for knew barrel assembly, $140 for lock, $90 for trigger assembly, 25 for trigger guard, $40 for butt plate and toe plate. $20 for wedges and screws, sights $25 or so. I was thinking buying the kit for $700 then sell the factory stock that comes with the kit for $150 to $200. I would be money ahead buying the kit.

I was thinking to build my own it would cost $325 for knew barrel assembly, $140 for lock, $90 for trigger assembly, 25 for trigger guard, $40 for butt plate and toe plate. $20 for wedges and screws, sights $25 or so. I was thinking buying the kit for $700 then sell the factory stock that comes with the kit for $150 to $200. I would be money ahead buying the kit.

I think you may be on the high side in your parts cost.

You might want to search the forum on the quality of Pedersoli locks. Also, a good lick like a Chambers or Kibler will cost $250 plus and not $140. If I could make my own stocks, I would go for quality parts made in the US. Good luck.
Thanks 58 I will. Im kinda new and dont know much about locks. I will look into that

I learned the hard way on poor locks. I have a Pedersoli flintlock pistol that the lock was a nightmare. Had to have Brad Emig tune it up. L&R the same. The lock is the heart of the gun so choose wisely. You get what you pay for. Once again good luck.

I also had problems with a Pedersoli lock but it was one of those tiny ones they put on the "Cub" series. Sometimes the stocks on Pedersoli rifles are surprisingly well figured. If you go that route you can still modify the stock to your liking. I agree that building from scratch won't cost an arm and a leg.

I do not like Pedersoli, Ive had two, both broke. The second one was a 1803 Harpers, got 8 shots and the frizzen broke. Took 10 months to have another one made.

When I broke my Chamber's Lock, He had it back to me in a week.

I am wanting to buy my first flintlock. I am a stock maker. Would I regret buying and assembling a pedersoli great plains flintlock kit? I just don't know the pros and cons to doing this. I don't mind doing the metal prep and bluing. I plan on turning a new stock and putting it (black walnut) on instead of the factory wood that comes with it. I anticipate the factory wood will be very plain. Will it be a good shooter when I'm done if I do my part well? Thank you for any advice.
I have a Pedersoli Brown Bess Carbine, that I built from a kit. I bought the Kit from Dixie…around 95 - 96 timeframe. The lock I had to send back to Dixie, and they did a wonderful job working the lock and turning it into a fully functional piece of equipment. I don’t know if they still offer that service, but it sure was appreciated…

The kit itself was solid…not Kibler solid…but solid none the less. It went together well, and the end product was what I was looking for…if you have even beginner to low moderate skill levels, you should be fine.

Add in current prices and availability and you may be very low. Big/huge price jumps very recently with many items sold out/backorder. With diesel at $6+ shipping must go up as well (plus big jump in "intransit" thefts). Seems like Inflation is destroying the dollars as we speak and changing how we think.

Back