• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

New aftermarket stock for Pedersoli Jaeger?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Good morning all.
Let me preface this with a own 6 Perdersoli muzzleloaders and 99% of them are perfect in fit, finish, and material but…
My last purchase was a Pedersoli Jaeger kit. Zero complaints about the metal and stock fit my (maybe minor) issue is the stock itself.
No problem with the metal to wood fit its the wood itself. The unfinished wood seemed quite “dry” upon arrival and very “coarse grained” and different from the rest if that makes sense. While quite functional (and it finished okay - maybe just okay) the difference between it and the other “Cadillac quality” wood on the rest of my Pedersolis is obvious. Again more cosmetic than function but I like wood projects.
Anyone know of a non-Pedersoli maker of a Pedersoli compatible stock?
I could buy another top dollar(!) from Pedersoli but it’s like half the price of the kit and I am afraid of a possible repeat on arrival.

Why don't you refinish the stock you have? Serious question by the way. Guessing it is walnut, filling the grain isn't a huge deal, if the inletting is good you can make a beautiful stock out of just about any decent chunk of walnut. It may not actually be great depending on the piece of wood but you can make it look extremely good and unless it is truly awful it will function well too.

Post some pictures of the wood and your concerns if you would, will help figure out if it needs some love or some matches.

Guess the main issue with it is it already has multiple coats of BLO and I assume any serious wood work would require the BLO to be removed. Did that once before on another stock and it was quite the project. And with no guarantee of better results but I don’t claim to be a wood expert. Be nice to start brand new, with a new unfinished stock, if I can do so without spending about $500 when it’s all said and done.
I’ll dig it out again shortly. Maybe time has softened my opinion.

The oil won't be an issue at all if it has dried. If it hasn't dried (for various reasons) it will clog the sandpaper but it won't stop you. I am 99.7% sure you still have options without seeing pictures.

Citristrip does a good job taking off oils and other finishes. I've put shorter stocks in the oven and baked the finish off. The process leaves the wood very clean.

Latest posts

Back