• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Flintlock

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sidewinder

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Is there a difference between the Cabelas Pedersoli Blue Ridge Flintlock and the Pedersoli Frontier Flintlock rifles in .50 cal , and if there is which is better ?

I don't have the Pedersoli version but I do have the Cabela's version in flintlock. They look the same from the photos I have seen but I would not say 100% sure. They have to be close though.

Same gun Cabelas gun is 600-650 right now versus about 100 bucks more for the frontier thats the difference and the name on gun..

Little John Z said:
Same gun Cabelas gun is 600-650 right now versus about 100 bucks more for the frontier thats the difference and the name on gun..

Yep, same gun. I have one in .50 cal flint, straight shooter that my 15 year old son uses now.

buy it in 54 cal!

ive got a 50 cal but if i could do it over again i would have bought a 54.

-Matt

I bought the Blue Ridge in 54 with a 65" twist. The only problem is the trigger pull which is in the 10 lb. range and I have to use the very light set trigger to get reasonable results. I would prefer a trigger pull of 4 lbs for hunting.

Otherwise the rifle with the set trigger is reasonably accurate getting 1.5 in. at 50 yds.

Pedersoli does not mention the Blue Ridge on it's website. (I was looking for an official manufacturers recommended max load at the time and I used the numbers for the Frontier.)

If I could find a replacement trigger with a better pull weight this would be a great gun.

KV Rummer,I have the same gun as you,that I bought in Cabelas Bargain Cave.I just about have to tear my finger off to set the rear set trigger.There is no way you could shoot accurately with that trigger.Once set the hair trigger works good.I thought my triggers were screwed up but it sounds like the Pedersoli's are all like that.I too wish I could get someone to work the triggers over.Otherwise nice gun.

You might look into the details of adjusting the trigger. There's a screw between the triggers you can get to without removing the trigger plate. That one adjusts the pull once the trigger is set. But if I recall correctly there's another you can get to once you drop the trigger plate out of the gun. That one is back on the flat spring toward the back behind the triggers.

I'm being kinda squishy here, because I just don't remember the details, and I could be mixing apples and oranges with other brands. I should drop the plate on mine and doublecheck, but I just don't have time at the moment. Hopefully someone here with more certain advice will chip in.

In any case, the amount of effort needed for pulling the set trigger is adjustable. I have a couple of the rifles (a full-size Frontier flinter in 50 cal and a cap version carbine, also in 50 cal), and after adjustment neither of them requires much effort to set the trigger.

I haven't shot the Blue Ridge for quit some time but I thought that middle screw did adjust the setting of the “set trigger”. It has nothing to do with the 'hair trigger'. I will have to get it out and see. :hmm:
But the other springs on the lock could hold up a Mack truck. :shocked2: They are way overly strong. Plus the lock leaves a lot to be desired beside it's springs.
All I can say is the gun works but ”¦.................... :(

The reason for the heavy trigger pull is a two part situation. 1. heavy sear spring (can be sanded down to reduce pull) 2. And more important is the angle of the tumbler notch and sear tip engagement. To prevent accidental premature firing the angle is actually less than 90 degrees. You want an exact 90 degrees. Less than ninety degrees and you are actually pulling the cock further back as you fire and are fighting the mainspring. Greater than ninety degrees and the tumbler wants to "push off" the sear and prematurely fire. The angle can be fixed with carefully stoning which requires disammbling the lock. You want to be carefull and stone a little at a time as you can easily over do it. Also most of pedersoli's have a heavy frizzen spring which eats up flints. They can be sanded down as well which greatly improves flint life! :idunno:

I too had a trigger pull on a pistol that was substantially heavier than 15 pounds. To solve this dilemma, I put a grinding bit in a dremel-type tool and smoothed out the sear. Then, I ground down the mainspring very carefully. I ground off so little at a time there was no noticeable difference at any given time. When the spring got remotely warm, I left it to cool. Be careful to keep the heat to where you can comftorbly handle the part. Thanks for bearing with me. :grin:

"...bearing with me". Booo, hiss...

And now I feel old -- I have a HATFIELD and Pedersoli's Frontier which is what they called it when they took over its production. I also have a replacement Siler lock on the side waiting for the day either fails in its entirety, but in the meantime...

...you can always buy an OEM part and play with it.

This is an advantage of factory guns!

My experience is exactly the opposite. My Pedersoli flinters have been trouble free and have super fast ignition. They fire instantly. The frizzen springs are pretty strong, more than necessary I think. But they've never given me problems with reliability or speed of ignition.

JumpShot, I agree. I've had my BlueRidge for quite a few years and have had no problems with it. I know of one heck if a lot of squirrels that agree.

Vern

I've had my BlueRidge for 10 years or more. No trouble at all. It is a fine gun. Larry

The Pedersoli Frontier Rifle/Blue Ridge rifle is by far the best shooting and most reliable flint rifle I have ever owned the only reason I don't still have it is because all the ribbin I took from guys who always bashed it, and joked it fired on sausage and other such comments. Bottom line no BS it is by far the best production flintlock long rifle made hands down no questions asked. Will it outshoot or out perform semi-customs hand built guns from the states. Definatly and I make guns. But it depends on the man behind the gun and how its maintained. People give the Pedersoli company grief because they are imported. Is it superior or inferior to semi-custum guns thats gunna be debated forever and neither side will win. Of course with all guns production or semi-full custom some have defects and need tuning its a matter of playing the game just like cars a bmv or ford, chevy, dodge all need tweeks from the factory. Point is the Pedersoli is massed produced and imported and not HC/PC so it gets manure. But last I check Pedersoli dominates the World Muzzleloading championships every year. Yes it held overseas and the Pedersoli is more common there, but if it was a turd gun no serious competetion guys would shoot it. So i am nuetral on this point because I sold mine due to peer pressure and trying to fit a mold and be accepted among the guys at the club, they happy because I spanked their butts with my "Lasagna Gun" Do I like something I built better yes it fits me and balances the way i like it, is it more HC/PC yes definatly it is a better gun thats a toss up, its pertier by far. But a better shooting gun ummmm next question. Maybe I got the best gun Pedersoli ever made I don't know but it definatly is worth 600-750 dollars all day long without a question and for anyone to start shooting a flintlock it will not let them down at all, and therefore they will become hooked and can eventually move into a pertier looking semi-custom gun. Lets face it folks they make a great rifle and its tough for us American folks to admit that, but NEWS FLASH our american longrifles were based of European designs anywyas yes they changed over time is called evolution but most gunmakers here were from Europe and the follow on builders were kin, or a close friend that were taught the trade. Ok hope I covered all the major points and counter points and any other thing people are gunna critique. Thank You for your time.

Little John Z said:
The Pedersoli Frontier Rifle/Blue Ridge rifle is by far the best shooting and most reliable flint rifle I have ever owned the only reason I don't still have it is because all the ribbin I took from guys who always bashed it, and joked it fired on sausage and other such comments. Bottom line no BS it is by far the best production flintlock long rifle made hands down no questions asked. Will it outshoot or out perform semi-customs hand built guns from the states. Definatly and I make guns. But it depends on the man behind the gun and how its maintained. People give the Pedersoli company grief because they are imported. Is it superior or inferior to semi-custum guns thats gunna be debated forever and neither side will win. Of course with all guns production or semi-full custom some have defects and need tuning its a matter of playing the game just like cars a bmv or ford, chevy, dodge all need tweeks from the factory. Point is the Pedersoli is massed produced and imported and not HC/PC so it gets manure. But last I check Pedersoli dominates the World Muzzleloading championships every year. Yes it held overseas and the Pedersoli is more common there, but if it was a turd gun no serious competetion guys would shoot it. So i am nuetral on this point because I sold mine due to peer pressure and trying to fit a mold and be accepted among the guys at the club, they happy because I spanked their butts with my "Lasagna Gun" Do I like something I built better yes it fits me and balances the way i like it, is it more HC/PC yes definatly it is a better gun thats a toss up, its pertier by far. But a better shooting gun ummmm next question. Maybe I got the best gun Pedersoli ever made I don't know but it definatly is worth 600-750 dollars all day long without a question and for anyone to start shooting a flintlock it will not let them down at all, and therefore they will become hooked and can eventually move into a pertier looking semi-custom gun. Lets face it folks they make a great rifle and its tough for us American folks to admit that, but NEWS FLASH our american longrifles were based of European designs anywyas yes they changed over time is called evolution but most gunmakers here were from Europe and the follow on builders were kin, or a close friend that were taught the trade. Ok hope I covered all the major points and counter points and any other thing people are gunna critique. Thank You for your time.

Very well said. A nice balanced review of the pros and cons of the Pederosoli made guns.

Back