• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli cleanig

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drummy

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hello all
Just received my first flintlock. It's a .32 cal Pedersoli KY. I have a question on cleaning. In order to remove the barrel you must remove a small pin that goes through the stock and a hanger on the barrel. I would think that removing that pin each time would waller out the wooden stock. Am I missing something? Should I clean with barrel attached to the stock :confused:
Thanks

All but one of my rifles have a fixed breech (so can't "unhook" the barrel to remove it) and all but one are fastened with pins instead of keys.

I DO NOT routinely remove my barrels for cleaning.

Track of the Wolf and others sell a neat little "flush nipple" for cap locks and a "flint flush" for rock locks.

You can check them out (Here)

Once or twice a year I do pull my barrels to give everything a good clean down.

If you use a pin punch (smaller than the pin size which is usually 1/16" or 3/32") to remove the barrel pins, and take care tapping them back in you wont damage the holes.

Many original rifles that are 200 years old show little to no sign of wear around the pins, so it can be done..

Yes - it's kinda like a C-clamp that you tighten over the touch hole.

At the touch hole is a rubber o-ring that gives it a water tight seal and then a hole through that threaded shaft that is connected to a piece of tubing (like aquarium air line).

You put the end of the tube in a jar/can/pail of soapy water and then pour some down the bore of the rifle.

Then when you run a cleaning patch down the bore it flushes the dirt and crud through the tube into your (bucket).

When you pull back on the patch it "sucks" soapy water back through the touch hole/nipple.

If it's super dirty you change the water out until you get clear water.

Works fine - exactly the same as submerging the breech end in the pail of water on a hooked breech rifle...

steeler61054 said:
Wonder how that "Flash Flint" would work? Ever see or use one?

I have used one too and they work very well. I never had a problem with mine leaking around the rubber O-ring, though others on the forum have complained about that.

The other way to clean without the flush kit is to simply remove the lock (I do that with each cleaning anyway to ensure no powder residue has gotten behind the lock plate and to scrub it with a tooth brush) then lay your gun on your gun pad lock side down, but put a folded up paper towel or old rag under the touch hole. Using very wet soapy cleaning patches, go to work. Those very wet patches actually create a slopping-suction as well and pump manure right out the touch hole and onto the folded paper towel or rag. Change out the paper towel or rag after a couple patches if the bore is really fowled.

Saw that method on one of Brian Beckum's videos and it works pretty slick.

P.S. This post should probably be in the Flintlock section. :wink:

I do it similar to that only place the rifle over the large laundry sink with the touch hole pointed down then use a squirt bottle like used for ketchup with warm soapy water. Elevate the muzzle slightly and squirt down the bore followed by patches until the water runs clear followed by WD40. Dry and coat well with Barricade. With my percussion guns I do it the same way only remove the cone and point the cone area into the sink.

Much thanks all
I was concerned about the water on the stock every time I cleaned but now I get it

I am fortunate to have a "gun room" in my shop so it is no problem to make a "washing rack" to hold the rifles mostly horizontal, with the flash hole down so you can tilt the barrel , wash with water, while the water drains from the flash hole to a bucket. :hmm:

Guess if I had to I could go to the next size pin.
After reading the replies I think I'll be fine

Back