• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Classic with both barrels bulged.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Could be it was a screw-in choke gun and someone tried to remove the threads (poorly). If I didn't have too much invested in it I'd just shorten it to maybe a coach gun.
I thought of that but then thought why not just take off the bulged portion and have a nice BP Quail gun. A lot will depend on what the Gunsmith finds when he puts the bore scope to it and gets a closer look at the interior.

At some point in the eighties the Pedersoli sxs's got chubby gaining about a pound.
The OP's one could be the experiment prototype that somehow escaped the labority. Utilising relief choking and constriction choking it was designed to achieve the first muzzleloader to take 100 yard turkeys!
I will do that (Write Pedersoli). and post their response here. As for weight, I have not weighed the gun, but was guessing it to be about 7lb

Can you feel a bulge on the inside?
I think Britsmoothy is kinda right and it left the factory that way.
Would suggest it was destined to be screw in chokes but didn't.
A great idea, but when checking the barrel with a patch it is very obvious that the barrels are cylinder up to the bulges and that after that point very obviously of a tighter choke diameter for the last couple inches.

I may have seen something similar on an unmentionable but due to stupidity. Firing both barrel simultaneously into some thing close or pressed up against a surface. The bulges look similar but Rib was damaged requiring shortening barrel back and losing both chokes. That said I have dealt with the Pedersolis directly and they have always met requests. You can contact them here:
Contacts | Davide Pedersoli

A great idea, but when checking the barrel with a patch it is very obvious that the barrels are cylinder up to the bulges and that after that point very obviously of a tighter choke diameter for the last couple inches.
So no loose patch?
So no bulge. But a swell in the outside diameter of the barrel coupled with a choke on the inside

Well now that is a new concept for me. I have never herd of "Relief choking". But then I am a relative newcomer to Black powder, got my first, a Caplock Hawken about 10 years ago. This is going to be my first foray into BP shotguns.
Relief choking is a different name for jug choking. Such a technique is method to apply some choking to a cylinder bored smooth bore by enlarging a section of the barrel near the muzzle. One of the reasons that some smooth bore barrels are now so thick. What happens is that the shot column open up in the relieved or jugged section and is restricted or choked just before the shot column exits the muzzle. The benefit is that since the smooth bore is effectively cylinder bored for ease of loading the wads and cards as well as easy of loading ball.

Relief choking is a different name for jug choking. Such a technique is method to apply some choking to a cylinder bored smooth bore by enlarging a section of the barrel near the muzzle. One of the reasons that some smooth bore barrels are now so thick. What happens is that the shot column open up in the relieved or jugged section and is restricted or choked just before the shot column exits the muzzle. The benefit is that since the smooth bore is effectively cylinder bored for ease of loading the wads and cards as well as easy of loading ball.
Thank you Grenadier1758 for this concise definition of Relief Choking. Each day I learn something is a successful day.

remember that it is a used gun, so they have no dog in this fight.
True story.
So no loose patch?
So no bulge. But a swell in the outside diameter of the barrel coupled with a choke on the inside
Going in, the barrel in its full length offered only modicum resistance. On extraction, that changed as the patch did it's job and "gathered" on the upper edge of the jag. Upon reaching the swelled section that comfortable resistance dropped to zero and in the last couple inches resistance was easily double or triple what it had been throughout the rest of the extraction. With that I presume there is a Choke on the last 2 inches of both barrels that is very consistent with one another.

I may have seen something similar on an unmentionable but due to stupidity. Firing both barrel simultaneously into some thing close or pressed up against a surface. The bulges look similar but Rib was damaged requiring shortening barrel back and losing both chokes. That said I have dealt with the Pedersolis directly and they have always met requests. You can contact them here:
Contacts | Davide Pedersoli
Yes there is a noticeable bulge inside the barrel that corresponds with the exterior.

True story.

Going in, the barrel in its full length offered only modicum resistance. On extraction, that changed as the patch did it's job and "gathered" on the upper edge of the jag. Upon reaching the swelled section that comfortable resistance dropped to zero and in the last couple inches resistance was easily double or triple what it had been throughout the rest of the extraction. With that I presume there is a Choke on the last 2 inches of both barrels that is very consistent with one another.
Yes there is a noticeable bulge inside the barrel that corresponds with the bulge on the exterior.

Grenadier1758 is "bang on" --- the phrase "JUG CHOKING" was a 19thC Birmingham Trade attempt to improve patterning without spending a lot of time on it. Not many originals likely to be seen in the USA due to the McKinley Tariff.
Not really suitable for ML shotguns, of course.

As an aside, there were other Gun Trade terms --- e.g., what most people would call a "screw" was in the Birmingham Gun Quarter called a "pin" and they didn't use "screwdrivers", instead they were "turnscrews" --- but of a SPECIFIC pattern with the flats parallem (unlike the tapered carpenter's screwdriver).
I would suggest that the SG which is the subject of this thread had been got at ;-)))

Sorry about my typing, I have ONE trigger finger and TWO "pecking fingers" (for the keyboard). As for the mobile phone ... ... ... I leave the thumb tapping to the young whippersnappers, who are then de-sensitised to the violence in their "shoot-'em-up" games and this contributes to the rise in violence in society. In the U.K. that means the politicos use it as an excuse to bear down upon the law-abiding firearm owner, instead of the criminals.

Well we have 3 pages of speculation and good advise but if you really want to know what you have put the barrels in you car and take them to a gunsmith that does a fair amount of shotgun work. He should have the tool to measure the inside diameter of your bore from way before the area in question right up to the muzzles.

Well we have 3 pages of speculation and good advise but if you really want to know what you have put the barrels in you car and take them to a gunsmith that does a fair amount of shotgun work. He should have the tool to measure the inside diameter of your bore from way before the area in question right up to the muzzles.
Guess you didn’t read the OP?
I have it in the hands of a gunsmith now who was somewhat mesmerized by the consistency, exactly matching locations and nearly exact sizes of these bulges.. the muzzlw photos show that some "welding" or "re-soldering has occurred so he is now researching to see if somewhere someone attmepted a "jugchoke" by somehow rolling a bulge into the barrels.

Actually I did read the OP but not many gunsmiths have the tool to measure the bores and he has made no mention of actually measuring the ID of the barrels at different locations so I was assuming this smith didn't have that ability.
Guess we wait to hear from OP about what his gunsmith ‘discovers’. Personally, as long as there is no obstruction in the bores, I would shoot as is and see how it patterns

Back