• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Saved From the Dumpster

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mike sure does have a point, and I understand it

This should be a lesson to us all! Try to preserve as much history as possible, dirt and all!

I did notice, that the butt plate has a relief for
a patch box lid :hmm:

I am finding, that making things look old is harder than making them look new :thumbsup:

Well, this worked out better than I figured....I though for sure I'd get a bunch of rotten tomatoes thrown at me! :surrender: :haha:

I love looking at guns and all I have to say is that given the choice, I would rather look at one that has been cleaned up instead of one that the finish was black and the barrel had to much rust to see any markings. I look at it like this, I would rather see what the gun looked like back then, not what it looks like 100 years later with dirt and dust ground into the finish after sitting the attic. But that is my personal opinion. :v

I have to add this too. How can monetary value compare to sentimental value. If that gun was in my family it would be priceless. The only reason I would have it appraised is for insurance reasons.

Mike,

I think your opinions and abilities are too well-respected for that.

Just curious, the original post seemed to indicate that the entire gun was covered in black paint. I would very much doubt this was how it was originally finished. Was it the method of removing this paint that you found fault with, or was it the manner in which it was done?

Regardless of how the restoration was done, it's certainly a much better fate than being tossed. I wish I had skills of that level.

It wasn't covered in paint, it was covered in patina. You don't remove patina on old guns, you preserve it.

Gosh, I don't know about the rest of you, but the "after" photos sure look better than the "before" to me. :thumbsup:
Sounds like you had a good time getting there, too.
Look at it this way; now it will have a chance to grow a 2nd patina! Take that thing out and shoot it!

Great job! :applause:

I would like to thank all of the members who have commented on my repair of Don’s old rifle. One thing about this forum, ask for advice, and you’re gonna get it, even some you didn’t ask for. When Don mentioned that he might like to fire the rifle a few times, I told him I’d run it by the forum members, explain the fix, and see what they thought””to shoot it or hang it up. The answers seemed to be, “yes” and “yes.”

I know that most of you have grasped the importance of this rifle to Don for his family. Money doesn’t enter in at all. They will get some pictures when they get together over Christmas, we will get a few more when we shoot the rifle. These pictures can follow along with the rifle through the generations, God willing.

I’ve worked wood as a hobby for many years. I believe that the repair of wood screws and epoxy resin interlock will stand up well for normal show-and-tell, but maybe not for any regular shooting. The recoil from the usual charges in this cal. is zilch, but the continued ramming home a patched ball could do some damage. Why take the chance?

So we’ll proceed along the lines that Zonie suggested, about 20 grains of 3F and a couple of felt wads, touch it off, and inspect.

To load some lead we can do the same thing and then put the rifle in my cleaning vice like in the picture of my Crockett.

Picture014.jpg

This will grab the rifle ahead of the break and we can seat the ball horizontally. Maybe try some heavy patched 32’s to start. Work up to some thin patched 000 buckshot. That oughta be enough. Just so we can get a few pictures of Don shooting the rifle so his grandkids can say, “That’s Grandpa Don!” Then his great-grandkids, then his great-great grandkids”¦ That’s the tradition we’re looking for.

I would like to close this post by commenting on a few of the replies that I take exception to.

The rather cavalier comment that so-and-so could have EASILY joined the wrist break without destroying the rifle’s Antique Roadshow value doesn’t make sense. When gorilla glue sets up out in the open, it foams up like a rock-hard sponge. No way could you get the two sides anywhere close to coming together. Getting that gorilla glue out of both sides of the break was not EASY and it would not have been easy for anybody. As to removing the “Black Patina” I would refer anyone to pages 326 and 327 in the “The Gunsmith of Grenville Country” by Peter Alexander. For those of you who don’t have this book, I’ll relate the pertinent concepts. Mr. Alexander tells how George Shumway (THE George Shumway, I believe) told him how to remove that 100 years of oxidation which he labeled “in attic condition.” He used Brasso and water to bring out the finish that was there when the gun was put up. In addition, the article further points out that NOONE can say for certain that whatever comes up is the original finish. These were working guns, with a not-so-durable original finish and may have been re-finished a number of times before being put away in the attic.

Picture020.jpg

Picture023.jpg

Picture024.jpg

Picture022.jpg

These are pictures of my flinter. It has a hand-rubbed linseed oil finish like many of the old rifles. The last coat was rubbed in exactly one week before the Javelina season started in ’63. That’s only a little over 40 years. The rifle has never seen an attic and has already started to turn black. All the beautiful colors from the potassium permanganate stain are so muted; you wouldn’t know they are there. After the holidays, out comes the Easy-Off, or maybe I’ll do the Brasso bit like George Shumway suggested.

Anyway, I think we “done did the right thing” and I believe Don’s family will agree for many generations.
Thank you for your patience and Merry Christmas!

Sincerely,
Wirewiz

To remove the glue, I first tried a lye solution, Easy-Off oven cleaner. It would soften the gorilla glue somewhat, so with MUCH patience, dental picks, and a toothbrush, the glue was removed
Interesting. My experience with GG has been, once it is set, it is pretty much impervious to attack from anything. It has it's place but never (again) for any kind of use on my guns.

I hope the owner of this great piece never sees this thread.. to be happy with a family heirloom to having your happy candle stomped out.......what do you think he's gonna remember every time he looks at that gun....We're all here for muzzel loaders. then our intrests diverge. not everyone is a hunter, re-enactor,collector,etc.....as long as the owner is happy. WE can be happy for him.....BE SAFE....Wally

I learned that boiled linseed oil turns black after many years.
I didn't know that, and I have can of it that I was going to use on my Dad's gun that I inherited.
I won't use BLO now. It's hard enough to pass things on to the kids without telling them it will need work in the future.
Thanks for renewing the post, Redlemur60. That's quite a 'stache in your photo!
I would thank Wirewiz for his detailed post, but he hasn't been here in 5 years. Well, thanks, anyway.

Latest posts

Back