• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Pedersoli Brown Bess

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Looking at a possible trade for Pedersoli Brown Bess (never fired).
I am hoping to get some Bess owners to share their opinions and experiences with them.

Thanks

I've owned several and found them to be good firelocks. 90 grains of 3f Goex under a .715 patched round ball shot great in all of them.

I'm yet to work seriously with ball, but all I've shot so far tell me it really wants to shoot. I have put a lot of shot through it though using 3f, lubed fiber base wads and the usual thin over-shot cards (both 11 gauge and available from TOW). It's a dandy snowshoe hare getter out to 30 yards or so with 1 5/8 oz of #6 shot.

I was concerned with the one I had having a low vent hole in the pan but it proved not to be an issue as the the gun never failed to fire. My problem with this gun was it smacked the hell out of my cheek so I sold it. But I have to say the frizzen never failed to spark.

Pedersoli has had some good runs and bad runs with their muskets. I had a good one, but I traded it off to get a First Model.

Some have a case hardened frizzen and the case can wear off and you loose your spark. This is not much of a problem as the frizzen can be rehardened or replaced.

Swampy said:
I was concerned with the one I had having a low vent hole in the pan but it proved not to be an issue as the the gun never failed to fire. My problem with this gun was it smacked the hell out of my cheek so I sold it.

Good to know. :hmm:

Pssssst,

M1 GAR#%D Maybe?

Oh, spelled that way so no modern firearm
is fully mentioned..........

Cheers,Rob

short land bess and long land bess both fun i know have one shootable and one witha broken stock
mostly shot patched round ball and they are fun to shoot for me up to 75 yards is about it
good for fire and smoke show

I am one of two guys locally shooting a Bess against the 20ga and .54 cal tradeguns. LOADS of fun! When you smack things with that .75 cal ball, they MOVE. In fact, I have a perfect record (so far) in local trade gun gong shoots: I have broken at least one steel target on every shoot. The last one was a hanging lumbermill saw blade at 125 yards. I hit it with a 90 grain load, put an egg-sized dimple in the face of it, cracked the blade, and broke the weld on the chain it was hanging from. Dang but I like this beast!! :grin:

Its guys like you that caused my gun club to PROHIBIT the use of such large guns shooting RBs, at our steel plates. Actually, they stopped it themselves, after we gave them an ultimatum:

Either they bought or helped repair( weld usually) the targets they broke, OR leave the club. All had other, smaller cal.guns to use, and the idea of actually working at the club( as most of the board members do all the time) just ruined their idea of fun. ( How little do they know! :rotf: )

Basically, around here, the rule is, " You break it, You own it!"

Nobody is trying to take the fun out of shooting sports, but some calibers are simply too large to allow them to be fired at some of our targets. The first time you see a .22 bang plate tree ruined at a club, by some idiot who had to shoot it with magnum rifle ammo- at close range, naturally---- you wouldn't want him to waste that $2.00 apiece ammo now, would you??-- You will better understand why the people who do the work to provide you those targets take a Lynch Mob's idea of justice towards shooters who go out of their way to destroy targets, that are not meant to be destroyed.

Go make some bang plates of your own thick enough and tough enough to withstand the force of large projectiles. Then take your plates to the range, and let others shoot at them. Better yet, make this a project for all the club members with Besses,who want to shoot RBs at bang plate targets. They you can all give the plates to the club for general use, and earn the respect- not condemnation- of other club members. NO?

:wink: :hatsoff:

PGTMG, so what of the trade? I'd 2nd the poor case hardened frizzens, at least on older ones. STOUT triggers too. Replacement frizzens can be had at Dixie Gun Works & Mine has worked for alot of rounds & triggers can be smoothed. YOU NEED TO USE IT WITH SHOT TOO! Mine is a clay killin machine.
Mossyrock: I'm in the same boat as You, whackin' the heck out of those gongs is awesome & You bet they move! My regular shooting parteners make Me fire last so they at least get a chance to shoot at the target :rotf: ! Paul makes very good points, as usual, at My club I will skip targets & miss the possible point if it, or it's attachment is questionable. All in all, this it is My favorite flintlock out of a dozen smoothbores & rifles but took a dedicated effort for Me to learn to shoot it. I LOVE My modern(ish) guns but would make the trade for sheer fun factor You can have with a Bess!

One of the better ideas I have seen to protect the welded base of any bang plate, that sits on a flat stand, is to use U-Channel steel stock, and weld the plate to the center of the "U". The two wings protect the weld from impacts by heavy balls or bullets, and that allows the plates to be used more w/o repairs.If you use 1/2 " armour plate, it may even take hits from a Brown Bess! at some reasonable range. (FWIW, I would not allow anyone shooting a Bess to be shooting at my plates at distances under 35 yds. Even at that range, the impact is quite severe, and repeated hits will do some damage. )

I much prefer swinging bang plates, tilted forward at a 20 degree angle, so that the ball is diverted downward into the ground, safely, while the pendulum effect of the swinging plate absorbs or deflects a lot of the energy. One inch links on chain are used to hold the heavy plates to an overhead bar, branch, or beam. To obtain the 20 degree forward tilt, the chains are welded to the back side of the plate, about 3-5 inches below the top edge, or wherever the weight and design of the bang plate allows the forward tilt at the desired angle. Depending on the thickness, and weight, and shape of a bang plate you may have to mount the chain links higher or lower to get the tilt correctly.

Back