• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

PC Knives vs. Modern Designs & Materials

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oatsayo All,
It has been my experience and observations that alot of the items that most of us use as reenactors are on the higher end scale and probably not as "common" as we would like to believe. The reasoning for this is that we arnet poor subsistance hunters and can afford better made things. Shot pouches, Horns, Knives and firearms in particular.

As far as knives go... It seems that predomenently the common knife is a simple Butcher type knife with wood scales. Iron pins to hld them on. No guard or bolster Just a simple kitchen knife.
Most of the existing ones I have seen are very common made and without frills. We dont pick these knives as we want something flashy.
An old wornout kitchen knife would probably be the most PC. But i dont carry one that simple either. :wink:

Pichou said:
If answering questions about authenticity truthfully makes people start calling me and other researchers vile names... we'll stop answering them, or just go play someplace else.

When people ask about "Historical Accuracy" or "Period Correctness", they should expect to hear varying opinions on the subject. If they don't want to hear it, they shouldn't ask. IMHO

Well said Claude. PICHOU, don't you be going anywhere. You know to much to not share it, even with those who don't want to hear it. They can just not read it, if they choose. I certainly appreciate your knowledge, and the presentations you post to back it up.

Twice Boom-

That bone handled aged folder looks great, is that your work? Have any for sale?

Pichou. What the others said. :hatsoff: By the way the two books you recommended arrived yesterday.Both great.
Thanks. Twice.

Jacob- Yes the Barlow and the two modern knives is my work..
No,I dodn't make for sale, I just do it for causes or just plain to see if I can do it. The two modern knives I made and donated to the "Hunt of a Life Time " organization that raises money each year to send terminally ill children with cancer on a guided big game hunting experience..
The Barlow I made to go with my 1835-1860 upland hunters persona..
Thanks very much for the kind words and for asking.
Twice.

Gotta watch doing it for fun, Mr. Boom. That's how I got started, and after a while, I had all these knives hanging around the place. That's why you'll find me, from time to time, holding down a table at a knife and gun show.

You are so correct Sir.It will probably come to that if I can manage to make few NPC ones... :rotf:
Twice...

Agreed, well said :thumbsup: :thumbsup: Those who are not interested in reading and sharing research should just skip those posts,... since they are evidently too lazy to read anyways....

While running the knife and hawk block at the range, we took some heat because some knives did not have "natural material" handles, which was stated in the NMLRA guidelines. We also did not allow "Rambo" style knives. Yes, those folks raised a stink......

As for PC for non-throwing knives, we are not that picky.

TexiKan

TexiKan said:

Can a throwing knife be PC?

Isn't the "throwing knife" a modern concept? I doubt that there were knives made especially for throwing in the Rendezvous period. I always assumed that the participants shot and threw whatever they had (axes, knives) just for fun, but that they didn't make knives just for the "sport" of throwing. IMHO

I saw once a picture of a persain belt knife that had part of a bone handle. That knife looked very much like the pistol grip knife that Mark Baker carries, only the blade had a slight drop to it. Many antique knives have similarities to the modern knives of today. Blade and handle designs, false edges, etc.
You could almost say that unless the knife is a fantasy type knife, most modern knives are just modern copies (with added whistles and bells) of early and original knives made in the last 1000 years.
Ohio Rusty >

"If answering questions about authenticity truthfully makes people start calling me and other researchers vile names... we'll stop answering them, or just go play someplace else."

Unfortunately my friend many have stopped posting for just such reasons,there are some very knowledgeble folks who don't post here anymore simply because the truth was not the answer someone wanted to hear, you hang tight and keep up with the great reference material you kep coming up with.

Ohio Rusty said:
You could almost say that unless the knife is a fantasy type knife, most modern knives are just modern copies (with added whistles and bells) of early and original knives made in the last 1000 years.

YEs, most knives are just a pointed pioece of metal with a handle, so in that sense, there aren't many "new designs".

What is important in this discussion though is the materials, shape and style. That's what makes it "period correct", not just the fact that it's a knife.

Carl Davis said:
TexiKan said:

Isn't the "throwing knife" a modern concept?

I never questioned if a throwing knife is PC because the knife and hawk competition is identified as such in the NMLRA rules. It seems it should look like it belongs in the period so no plastic grips, duct tape, or as I said, "Rambo" style knives. Size and general specifications are given and I assume that is to give all competitiors a reasonable level playing field.

Some folks have thrown their PC looking knives but they tend to do poorly or their nice handles get broken. It's their choice. All I am saying is at our events, we follow the general NMLRA knife throwing rules.

TexiKan

TexiKan said:
Carl Davis said:
TexiKan said:

Isn't the "throwing knife" a modern concept?

I never questioned if a throwing knife is PC because the knife and hawk competition is identified as such in the NMLRA rules.

Yes, the NMLRA is not known for being as concerned about historical accuracy as some might think. At least not anymore.

I haven't been a member for a few years, but I never got the impression they were steeped into "historical accuracy." However, for those who are into the PC accuracy.....do you have a knife throw and if so, do you use PC knives? Curious.

TexiKan

Back