• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patterning my NWTG

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, gang. Seems I might need to find some #5 shot.

Still very perplexed as to whether or not I should try fiber wads and cards in my trade gun.

I want to be authentic and period correct, but it seems such wads were at least theoretically available in some capacity during the first half of the 19th C.

But if they ever found there way into someone’s pouch for use in a trade gun seems dubious.

Thoughts?
Don't get too overwrought about some modern improvements. The perfectly spherical round #5 shot is a late development with the creation of shot towers. Early descriptions of hunting with fowling guns refer to the use well felted saddle blankets being used as a cushion wad, "saddle pierce drives so fierce" (more or less). These treatises are much earlier than the early 19th century. Others describe shot cards as folded squares of paper to hold the shot. Subtle difference between modern practice such as the use of "Duro-Felt" for wads and round cards punched from cereal boxes instead of felt from old saddle blankets and hats for wads and folded paper for a thin over shot card and over powder card are quite acceptable. I do admit that such practice would have been common for the English gentry when out fowling and quite rare for the eastern woodland hunter in the colonies. Take advantage of some of these examples of modern improvements to have a more successful hunt.

https://www.muzzleloadingforum.com/...oothbore-flintlock.153931/page-2#post-2183208

Still very perplexed as to whether or not I should try fiber wads and cards in my trade gun.

I want to be authentic and period correct, but it seems such wads were at least theoretically available in some capacity during the first half of the 19th C.

But if they ever found there way into someone’s pouch for use in a trade gun seems dubious.

Thoughts?
Try them all ! I dont use hornets nest to be historically correct but because it works well and its free ! I'm a cheap $#it ! LOL ! Thats its got history to it is just a neat aspect ... Try cards , tow , wads , hornets nest ....what have ya . See what works for you are what you like / prefer . Even at rendezvous ain't nobody gonna complain day anything ....who cares if they do , LOL ....any whom....have fun ,! :)

I find it takes more time to get a shotgun to shoot a good pattern than it does to find a good load for a rifle.
Repeatability of an excellent pattern can be very difficult.
You hit the nail square on the head with that one, I had the bruises to prove your statement to be 100% factual. It's a curse sometimes that I am too dumb to flinch🙄

Thoughts?
Up your percentage for clean kills and less wounding.

Latest posts

Back