• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

patches after shooting

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

REX

40 Cal.
Reaction score
I haven't seen this question posted,so I'm going to ask it. When I inspected the patches after shooting the Deerstalker flint, they all look good. The load was 50grs of Goex FFFg,lubed patch and a 490 RB.
When I inspected the patches after shooting the Traditions Hawken percussion, they were almost ripped apart, the centers had holes. The load was 40grs of Pyro P, lubed patch and a 490RB.
The RB, lube and patches were identical, RB cast from WW, lube 4 parts olive oil 1 part bee's wax and patch made from .010 cotton scraps from wife's quilting. The only difference was rifle, powder and the amount. I did wipe every 3rd shot on the flint but didn't wipe on the side-lock.
Is this normal, or am I missing something. :hmm:
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP shooting is fun

I might be wrong, but I recall seeing something here that said that Pyrodex burns a bit hotter than Goex, and the P is for pistol, and may be a tad bit hotter still than the RS.

Did the hole have char/burn or did it look cut? Was it shredded and how far up? Knowing this might help them that're smarter than me diagnose the cause.

just a thought,
vic

All the patches I found were torn and the center was missing but they didn't look to be cut. I thought that Pyro P was almost equal to FFFg, or I'm I wrong again. ::
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP shooting is fun

When patches burn out in the center as you describe it is generally considered a lube failure since that is one function of the lube, try spit. But .010" is a very thin patch and I'd almost be surprised if such a flimsy patch didn't fail. Since you mention that the cloth was sewing scrap I wonder if it might be a blend with some synthetic content, a lot of fabric stores really don't know much about the cloth they sell. Come-to-think-of-it, A lot of any kind of stores don't know much about anything they sell. :imo:

All the patches I found were torn and the center was missing but they didn't look to be cut. I thought that Pyro P was almost equal to FFFg, or I'm I wrong again. ::
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP shooting is fun

Pyro P is an FFFg equivalent, and 40grns of it is nothing of consequence...the 'nominal' sized patching for nominal sized mass produced barrels and balls is usually .015" cotton at a minimum, with a thick, strong .018" prelubed pillow ticking usually even a better choice

After 44 yrs I never question the wife, if she sez that was 100% cotton, it is. I guess my question was, why no problem with the patch and lube I'm using in the flint? ::
I will try a thicker patch and see what happens. Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP shooting is fun

With the .490 ball, .010 patch will be too thin. Switch to at least .015 or .018 patch. Some folks shoot .020 patch and .490 ball but I find that too tight and I'm cleaning every shot.

A .495 ball and the .010 patch will normally work well.

Might be also be enough difference in rifling and barrel tolerance between the two barrels that will "cut" into the patch a bit more with one versus the other.

. . . if she sez that was 100% cotton, it is.

Take it outdoors (where she can't see :rolleyes:) and hold a match or lighter to it. If it shrinks & shrivels as it burns, it's not 100%. If it just burns, you're OK.

If you can hold a used patch up to the light of the sky and can see any holes through it larger than the weave, it's either too thin, not lubed well enough, or your bore is rough. I've been experimenting with 0.010" patching in my .54 and it holds up. A little charred with the two month old dry lubed patches, but no holes or burn-throughs.

If you run a dry, double thickness cleaning patch on your jag the outer material should not tear. If it tears, it ain't the lube or the patch material's fault.

"If you run a dry, double thickness cleaning patch on your jag the outer material should not tear. If it tears, it ain't the lube or the patch material's fault."

You want to do this with a clean barrel though or you may have a hard time getting that dry patch back out of the barrel. ::

Did I evey tell you about my trick if screwing the jag onto the edge of a patch so that you always get it back out? Sometimes I even poke a hole on one corner (I do a pile of GI patches at a time with an awl).

I swear my shotgun can suck a patch off a jag from 6" with a "SCHWOOP" and take it all the way down to the breech. But not with the above trick.

Yep, i heard tell of such a trick. But for them what don't know that there trick, i thought they might like to know that running a dry patch down a dirty bore can cause all kinds of cuss words. Some they didn't know they even knew. :: ::

Traditions calls for a .015 thick patch for their flintlocks as well as their cap guns. 50-75 FFG Black Powder (GOEX) or 45-70 FFFG Black Powder (GOEX) with a .490 ball. :results:

Woody

I use my wife's surplus sewing material too but only for cleaning.Go to a yardage shop [ Wally's world] and get some blue pillow ticking for patches.Look at the end of the bolt to make sure it is 100% cotton.If you have set of mics or a dial caliper get a material that measures .015 or so compressed.

Same thing happend to me when sighting in a new rifle last year. Tried .010,.015,.018,020 patches - same problem.
Another shooter told me to look closly at the muzzle of the gun. There was a small nick on a rifle land. Had that solved and problem was gone. I could have had the barrel coned, but couldnt find anyone with a cone for a .530 cal bore.

Your observation may be right, I'll have to check it out. This is the only BP gun I own (7) that is blowing the patch and it is new. It may just have to be broken in.
Thanks to eveyone for thier input. :thumbsup:
rex (westcoastBPgramps)
BP shooting is fun

Joe Lane Wood of the Firelock Shop can make a coning tool for any caliber including my .61 Jaeger.

Back