• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where can I buy patchaterial in a roll ??? Or am I dreaming and I cut and roll it
Possibles Shop
Larry

Muzzleloading, Cap & Ball, Horse Camping, Horse Trail Riding and Outfitter Supply

Screenshot 2023-04-06 at 1.37.47 PM.png

While not specifically to where you can buy it our very own Black Powder Maniac Shooter posted a really neat video on how he does it. I have begun using his method and really like it, especially because I'm doing it myself. Might save you a few bucks along the way. The only thing I have against that guy is he won't give poor ol' Bigfoot a break. He's aways wearin him out every chance he gets. :ghostly:

With complete respect and admiration for BPM and his huge contribution to muzzle loading, I wouldn't use any t shirt material for cleaning patches. The flannel like cotton material sold in the cloth department is thicker but yet softer and more absorbent.

I'll get into cutting in a later post.

Once again, not throwing shade on BPM. Just the way I do it. Advatages: no cutting wheel or cutting surface needed. Adapts to any place, time or situation. This can be done just with a knife. In the pictures below I used scissors because they were already on the work table.

First, a piece of material. This piece will be fine for some 40 or 45 size.

20230406_161117_copy_800x600.jpg

Put a small slit to make starting a tear easy. And tear it. In this case, in half.
20230406_161244_copy_800x600.jpg

Make a flat roll of about ten turns so it looks like this.
20230406_161324_copy_800x600.jpg

Use your knife or scissors like this to cut through all the layers on each end.

20230406_161845_copy_600x800.jpg

And viola you have cleaning patches. Done much faster than I can tell it.

20230406_161345_copy_800x600.jpg

20230406_161436_copy_800x600.jpg

This also works for precut Square shooting patches. The nature of ticking material makes much more uniform patch sizes. I mostly cut at the muzzle but have used precut squares a lot and they shoot the same as precut round or cut at the muzzle.

T shirt material , cheap to free . usually in the .015 .017 range , works great . More cotton in the mix the better but 50/50 is fine . Cut in long 2"-3" strips ,roll them up and rubber band around d roll to store them . I tie a strip to the shooting bag and just keep using the end of it over the muzzle and push down the ball , cut it even with the muzzle and let the strip fall as I push the ball down .... Gets too short ,just replace the strip . Free is good ! Old t shirts or thrift shops

T shirt material , cheap to free . usually in the .015 .017 range , works great . More cotton in the mix the better but 50/50 is fine . Cut in long 2"-3" strips ,roll them up and rubber band around d roll to store them . I tie a strip to the shooting bag and just keep using the end of it over the muzzle and push down the ball , cut it even with the muzzle and let the strip fall as I push the ball down .... Gets too short ,just replace the strip . Free is good ! Old t shirts or thrift shops

Think we are on different pages. 🤔

I go to the thrift store with my micrometer. There are alot of clothes, especially ladies clothes that are 100% cotton and extremely tight weave. So tight you can't blow air through them. That is the exact material I look for. That tight weave won't burn out easily. I can mic the thickness of the cloth to determine if that is the thickness for my rifles.
I have purchased at least 3 vintage pillow ticking pillows that the thick ticking measures 17 thou's thick. I just dumped all the feathers out of the pillows and washed the cases. I have found pillow ticking shirts in the childrens section. Be sure the tag says 100% cotton. I also find nice real linen clothes for a cheap price in the ladies section in tan or natural colors that I can sew period bags and other linen items cheaply. The stores that sell new linen to you want 40 dollars a yard. I can buy a heavy weight linen pair of ladies pants for 99 cents ... and it is about 2 yards worth of material. That linen dyed with walnut hulls or ritberries makes a great shooting bag liner. The cut off pieces I char in my char tins and have period correct char cloth that takes a spark really well. You don't need to spend tons of your hard earned money at the big box stores for what you need. You'll be spending twice as much for gasoline and food soon and it is already starting. Think outside of the box, save money, and you will be more pleased with the bargains you find.
Ohio Rusty ><>

Last edited:
Back