• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Looking for strap material

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I’m having trouble finding strap material for making possibles pouches. Does anyone know where to find strap material like these?
IMG_3313.jpeg
IMG_3312.jpeg

I did the same thing, TDM! Also haven't used it yet. Got 1/2", 3/4", and 1" with red and blue stripes.

That is one handsome pouch in the OP. I think a couple of members here make woven straps, maybe Two Feathers and......can't remember the other person. Someone will chime in.

Someone else did it and I posted that I was promptly stealing their idea. It was a horn strap as I recall, I still have three horns to finish and one small pouch to make and will be using the wicks for that after I stitch leather ends on them.

Along the same line does anyone make good leather shoe laces anymore? I got some lacing from a ML supplier and I broke the darn thing tying it onto a horn. The laces we got years ago were a whole lot stronger. So was I so this ain't just nostalgia talking.

Along the same line does anyone make good leather shoe laces anymore? I got some lacing from a ML supplier and I broke the darn thing tying it onto a horn. The laces we got years ago were a whole lot stronger. So was I so this ain't just nostalgia talking.
Try Nick's Boots, or White's Boots

One alternative if you have time, patience and some skill is to make or buy a tape or inkle loom and weave the webbing yourself. I built an inkle loom according to dimensions from Helen Bress's book, and it worked fine. It was the clumsy operator who didn't.
https://www.amazon.com/Inkle-Weaving-Helene-Bress/dp/0962054313I may try again with a tape loom of some sort as these go back centuries, while the tabletop inkle loom in current form supposedly dates to the 1930s.
We used to have a wonderful artisan here, Lynn Blevens, "The Weaving Welshman," of Hayden, Idaho, but he stopped making his excellent straps about five years ago. I was lucky to get one from him before he "retired" and the product was of wonderful quality and Lynn was an absolute pleasure to deal with. I'll bet many here remember him.

Last edited:
Crazy Crow has leather strips that I use and they are strong .buy the gig pack

Back