• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rebel727

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Ok, I've never been the worlds best at making stuff so don't laugh too hard at my homemade patch knife.

100_0507.jpg

100_0508.jpg

Looks good to me.

You may consider rounding the butt of the handle a little and giving it a coat of stain...or you may not.

I don't know how it'll take a stain. The antler is off a 10 pt. I killed a couple of years ago that I intended to make a plaque out of but never did. It's just been laying outside and started cracking and turning green in the cracks.

Hey Reb, I ain't laughing. That is a really authentic looking frontier knife. I like it just the way it is. :thumbsup:

Thanks y'all. :hatsoff: My brother in law is going to bring me some elk horn so I may try to rehaft a couple of other blades I have lying around. I made that one out of an old circle saw.

Rebel, that ain't no laughing matter, looks purty gosh darn nice to me. Now if you put about 23 more odd blades and a gps unit on it , make it a folder, I might give it a little chuckle!!! :rotf: :rotf: All joking aside it looks mighty fine to me. :thumbsup:

wildeagle said:
Rebel, that ain't no laughing matter, looks purty gosh darn nice to me. Now if you put about 23 more odd blades and a gps unit on it , make it a folder, I might give it a little chuckle!!! :rotf: :rotf: All joking aside it looks mighty fine to me. :thumbsup:

Well, there goes my next project. :rotf:

Thanks. :hatsoff:

Sorry, add one of those new fangled magnesium fire starter googaws and it won't even resemble what I described :confused:

rebel727 said:
Ok, I've never been the worlds best at making stuff so don't laugh too hard at my homemade patch knife.

100_0507.jpg

100_0508.jpg
[/quote/

This is a nice little knife.These are type of knives I like to build although I usually make larger riflemen's belt knives out of old butcher knives. Take some scrap antler and play with it using some iodine and brown shoe polish.I have had some luck with that and also on these knives I would suggest iron pins instead of brass.I use finishing nails and dip them in battery acid to remove galvanized finish.If you're going to start playing with primitive knives I strongly recommend the following two books:
1."The Knife in Homespun America" by Madison Grant,good images but take texts with a grain of salt.
"American Primitive Knives" by Gordon Minnis,This is the best book out.
I hope this helps.
Tom Patton

Pouch in side the bag would do. I hang some of mine from ring that the strap hooks to at bag. Used to put on the strap. The hardest part is getting the sheath designed. Dilly

Looks fine to me. Good job. I like circular saw blades for knife blades too, just haven't had the chance in a while. The last was from a 16" blade. Looks like the "homespun America" to me-sharp blade with a handle. Thanks for sharing.

I think it turned out real good! I like the brass pins too because I like to actually peen the ends! Probably ain't too PC but I like them.
If you want to stain the antler you can use old stale coffee. Also I have used oil paints like the kind artists use. Put it on and rub in, then turn out and rub most of it back off. You end up with a hue in the color you chose, also the cracks will pick up some of the color. If you get too much and don't like it some mineral spirits and rag will pick up most of it up again.

Back