• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Interesting long knife at auction. Relic or recreation?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bark-eater

40 Cal
Reaction score
I was at a local auction house and this found this knife. It really looks the part of a period long knife that saw hard use. Or is it a well done and well used replica? I may place a token bid, but there are enough sharks around this auction, I'm sure it will go for more. The handles look like horn and the end of the the tang is mushroomed from being used as a hammer. Its kind weird, because this is very close to what in my minds eye as far as a knife I want to make. The photo link has all the pictures I took this morning and a few of a powder horn that was also there, full of powder...
https://photos.app.goo.gl/RR75q59SUaEVxpuWA

long knife.JPG

Last edited:
I don’t believe it is a replica but a well used old butcher knife. I’m no expert so someone else here can maybe say more. Is that a sheath also in the bottom of the picture.
That's the sheath. Its a center seam with a flap and a hole for a thong. I took a bunch of pictures and posted a link to them. Is it working?

My thoughts:
1. If there are no stamps on the blade, it might just be a work knife, so not exceptionally valuable.
2. Which might deter the sharks from being attracted to it.
3. If you might build one like it, put in a reasonable bid. You can study the knife before you start yours, and determine if you might want to change something, or make it just like the old one.
4. Show us what you make, with photos!

I like it. If it goes for reasonable price it would be fun to have it. As we know reasonable is a relative term. For me that might be $50 for others it might be $100s.

What period?
Pins are wrong for 18th century.
Probably just and old early 1900s butcher knife that someone made a sheath for.

Do the horn handle slabs date it? It has a full tang with the ball end. The rivets look to be nails peened over. The sheath looks 18th century-ish center seam with no belt loop. I'm assuming home made, but the decretive line on the blade is "artsy" Its well made and preserved but the details are "Folky". That what make me think its a more contemporary construction.

Do the horn handle slabs date it? It has a full tang with the ball end. The rivets look to be nails peened over. The sheath looks 18th century-ish center seam with no belt loop. I'm assuming home made, but the decretive line on the blade is "artsy" Its well made and preserved but the details are "Folky". That what make me think its a more contemporary construction.
Not really, the horn still seems later. And being full tang increases the likelihood that it was made later. There were full tang knives in the 18th century but they were not as common, and pins were very small. In fact, not only were the pins small, experts can tell a French knife handle or tang from an English handle or tang by the size and pattern of the pins.
The rivets in the sheath, regardless of what they are made of, also point to later manufacture, again, possibly later than the blade itself.

Most cutlery in colonial America was imported, often by the barrel full. But, even in those large quantities, a makers mark would have been present.

I was thinking $50.
There's also a WWII hatchet with a busted handle in the lot so someone might be after that also.

It’s kind weird, because this is very close to what in my minds eye as far as a knife I want to make.
What period, style or makers/manufacture’s knife is in your mind’s eye that you want to make? Personally I see repurposed used unmarked knife from not that long ago and nothing exceptional with it in photographs, so could you possibly offer some education on what the fascination is with the knife? No disrespect intended, just curious.

I don’t believe it is a replica but a well used old butcher knife. I’m no expert so someone else here can maybe say more. Is that a sheath also in the bottom of the picture.
I agree. I have seen many that look like this from years of use and sharpening.

Figured I'd follow up on this. I wasn't trying too hard to rationalize the knife being from 18th or 19th century for that matter, and I think the @tallpine might be on to something bringing up Argentina. That kind of fits with my impression that the knife was more contemporary but made in an older fashion. How it might have traveled to the Eastern Shore will remain a mystery. I passed on bidding, and the knife went for around $50. That $50 "saved" managed to turn it self into a 4 point HBC black stripe blanket, so that's fine....

I have an old butcher knife that is much the same but I haven't seen any butcher knives that have a reinforced back as that appears to have.

I have an old butcher knife that is much the same but I haven't seen any butcher knives that have a reinforced back as that appears to have.
The line on the back is a shallow groove. Just one of the "details" There's a link with more pictures, including the spine.

Latest posts

Back