• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Patch Knife

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have some real fine flap wheels that have some stuff like scotchbrite between the flaps. You can get them at Tru-Value stores, and if you go easy you can polish that frosty stuff right off the outside of that antler. I have some elk sheds that I have polished up that way for knife slabs. If you stain it before you try to polish it, it will take stain too, then polish it. Play with it, you aint got nothin to loose but yer blood :rotf:

You can carve a likeness of yer grandpappy in the end of that butt! if ya dont like it square. Bore ya a hole thru it, and push a small brass tube thru it and file the ends smoothe so ya can put a string tether thru it to keep it from fallin out of your sheath. I use that artificial sinew on mine. That way when I go to look for it, it is either in the sheath or danglin on its tether.

Hey Bill,the green goes down into the cracks. I sanded it down some but it's deep. I may try the coffee stain one of these days and see how it does. I can see me trying to carve a face on it. :rotf: I'm thinking about just making a pouch inside my possibles bag for it. That way I'll know where it is. My brother in law is supposed to bring me some elk horn next weekend. I've got a couple of old blades I'm going to try to fix up. One's an old flat blade USN Ka Bar

Rebel what I done with the coffee thing is just put the stale coffee in a glass so I could get it deep enough to cover the handle completely and let it sit for a couple of hours. The color change was subtle. I suppose if you put the antler in there and left long term it would get darker.
:shake: Here is the truth of how I achived this color on this handle. The coffee did not move the color of the antler like I wanted. Someone had suggested buffing on a buffing wheel would change the color.
Without thinking I put the antler to the wheel, which I had used with a jewelers rouge on to polish something. There was not alot of jewelers rouge in the material but as soon as I touched the antler too it, not only did it begin to polish but the color of the rouge transfered to it. :shocked2: Use a clean wheel if all you want to do is polish! :redface:
The rouge was a kinda brown/purple looking stick. After looking at what had just happened I liked it. I buffed as far as the rouge would go and the added just a little to finish the job. Easy on the rouge just enough for a color change!
This is a pick of the handle
000_0781.jpg

This antler was a typical bleached white shed. If you look at the guard you can see the origional color and really appreciate the color change.
000_0669_00.jpg

This is one done with the artist piant to add a hue color. The picture doesn't do it justice but I used a bright yellow rubbed into this handle. After wiping it down and letting it dry I thought it was too much so went back with mineral spirits and a rag and buffed out some of the color. It left it with just a slight yellow hue to the antler. Anyway ther is a couple of examples of the treatments I mentioned! :wink:
000_0962.jpg

Just a tip for you to consider: If you make a sheath that covers 7/8 of the blade AND handle of the knife, the friction of the leather against the handle will be sufficient to keep it from falling out of the sheath, but its still easy enough to remove the knife by hand. Its when the handle is as long as, or weighs more than the blade and hilt, and the knife is held in a " Blade only " sheath, that sheaths have a nasty habit of finding a way to dump the knife.

Go with what Paul said on sheaths. it is more correct, easier to make, and handier in use. Here's a couple of faces you can try.
pennyknife240_640x480.jpg
[/img]
Carolsknife017.jpg
[/img]

Cliff, I'll have to try one of those.

Paul, point taken.

Wick, No way am I ready to try faces. Man, y'all make some good looking stuff. Makes my pore old knife look pretty sad.

It only takes the loss of ONE hand made knife from a poorly designed sheath to get the brain working overtime to find a better way to keep a knife! :cursing: :thumbsup:

I use a buffing wheel to polish up the antler then take a small propane torch and go around the handle and darken it some. You can see how dark it gets and where as you go. Do it after you polish and it will still have some shine.

DSC01694.jpg

The little one on the right has the most on it, although both have some "burn".

Ronnie

Back