• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Appropriate lock for a Bucks or Bethlehem rifle

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shortfat1

32 Cal
Reaction score
Good evening… I’m just starting my second build from scratch and I’m looking for some insight… My first build was a fusil de chasse that came out better than I’d hoped. I’ve found that the build itself was as enjoyable as hunting with it is. I’m addicted. So I’m on to my next build… a Bucks or Bethlehem. Still getting parts tho… I’ve got a stock blank and a Colerain 44” swamped .54 caliber barrel. Last year at Friendship I picked up an R.E. Davis early English round faced lock. Would it be completely inappropriate for this build? I know that a Siler is the “go to girl” for this dance, but I’d hate to spring another couple hundred plus for the build if I already have a lock laying on my bench that’s historically appropriate. Thanks in advance…

Attachments

• 416EF98F-A2EF-434B-B73B-C5D2260039E6.jpeg
    416EF98F-A2EF-434B-B73B-C5D2260039E6.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 3
  • 3720C0BD-D9AA-4BA6-9198-20EB96CC219A.jpeg
    3720C0BD-D9AA-4BA6-9198-20EB96CC219A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Nope, the Lehigh and Bucks Co rifles were of Germanic origins. Flat faced, read as Siler or similar, with some minor alterations, I.e. pinched tail.
Save that baby for an English rifle or Fowler.
Thank you! After doing a ton of digging and asking... that's pretty much the answer I found... however, I have found several examples of original guns with English and even French locks on them. I think they used what they could get or afford at the time. That being said I will most likely go with something more Germanic since it's the most appropriate... next question... has anyone built a Chambers siler kit? I was a machinist when I was a younger man, so I'm familiar working with metal, although my workshop isn't exactly designed for it. I'd like to hear mor about doing a lock kit tho'...

Back