• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Parrot Vice $45

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought my versa vice (same vice) about 30 years ago. It came with one swiveling jaw—great for odd pieces. But one thing I really didn’t like was each moving piece rubbed steel on steel. That Is irritating to say nothing of needless wear. So, with my lathe I proceeded to fabricate parts so now everything that moves is steel on bronze. Runs smooth as a quality machine lathe!

Last edited:
Been using my new vice today. Here is a jaw idea to allow it to grip uneven object a bit better by creating a rocker block. Give Jim Kibler the credit I seen it in one of his build videos. Very innovative guy, may just have to buy one of his rifles in the future. WIN_20231007_14_53_27_Pro.jpg

We bought a pallet of these vises a while ago and will be selling them before long. One upgrade we’ll be doing is putting a bolt in the vise body to lock it in place and prevent rotation. The factory mechanism that locks this style of vise is not all that strong, especially if you aren’t clamping something really tight. With stocks, it’s not uncommon to want to clamp them relatively lightly.

Don't worry about me buying one of those things.

If I need fixed straight jaws for anything I have a 40 year old Craftsman woodworker's vise. Tough enough to push rusted U-joint caps out so it'll do anything I need woodworking wise.

For stock building I built my own pattern maker's vise.

Screenshot_20231007_221611_Gallery.jpg

Screenshot_20231007_221630_Gallery.jpg

You misunderstood me, I was referring to the Amazon ones and everybody fighting over the last one or two there.

Turns out I don't need a Kibbler modified one either. Plenty of vises in my shop that do what I need.

IMG_5284.jpg

IMG_5286.jpg

Mounted mine on the work bench. Made a set of jaws for angled surfaces from an old cutting board about 3/8" thick. It was warped so sort of pivots for uneven gripping.

I drilled/tapped and installed a 5/16" bolt to lock the swivel better.

The other end of the bench has the pattern makers vise on it.

Don

Irony of Ironies:
I was just looking at Parrot vice jaws for my Grizzly Parrot vise?
The rubber finally came off the aluminum floating jaw. I've repaired it a few times but it finally gave up the ghost? I'll try one more time?
I see that they are using Cork to line the jaws now? I may get some cork from Wally-world and try that next?
Back when I built guitars that parrot vice was indispensable. Now I use it, but not as much? It's still something that I can't live with though.
God bless:
Two Feathers

Irony of Ironies:
The rubber finally came off the aluminum floating jaw. I've repaired it a few times but it finally gave up the ghost? I'll try one more time?
I see that they are using Cork to line the jaws now? I may get some cork from Wally-world and try that next?
Back when I built guitars that parrot vice was indispensable. Now I use it, but not as much? It's still something that I can't live with though.
God bless:
Two Feathers
Yes cork is what they're using now on aluminum jaws

Hey guys:
Me again>
For what it's worth. Here's the one I own. Parrot Vise® at Grizzly.com
The Aluminum floating jaws are extra. But I think Grizzly has the best Parrot vise sold? I've beat mine to death and the only issues I have is the rubber coming of the Aluminum jaws after 25 years of hard use.
We used to have a Grizzly showroom/ tool sale warehouse about 1 hour from my place. They closed it around 10 years ago. It made the wood workers around here sick to see it happen. Most of my tools and shop machinery came from there.
No idea WHY I'm going on about this, other than I love my Grizzly Parrot vise. You can't go wrong with one of these. No matter what you use it for.
Again, just MY $0.02.
God bless:
Two Feathers

got mine from the Jungle a week ago. added walnut jaw pads . it has been in constant use since mounted. aligned it with my old bench vise and now the entire rifle is held rigid. makes a world of difference when stabbing while inletting. loc plate, full depth inlet normal for me was about 3 hours due to the shakes. got it inlet over 1 inch and so tight it traps hair (gray of course :D ). long ramble cut short, i may order another for my second bench!
what J Kibler says about the swivel bolt is spot on though. i found if i tightened it so tight it won't swivel with the jaws open 3 inches that it locks up pretty well when closed on a 2.25 inch piece of stock. though it does tend to loosen a smidge when working.
if i do order another it will be from JK. one less chore is worth it.

I’m beginning my Woodsrunner build. Is the 3.5 large enough or should I get the 4.5? E…

3 1/2 May be large enough for this project, but will it be large enough for ALL the little projects around your house you may need a vice for? Get the bigger one. Big can go small better than small can go big.

Irony of Ironies:
God bless:
Two Feathers
I have one of the original Parrot vices and it only has holes in one jaw. I’ve been looking at the Grizzly jaws also. They have their pattern makers vise 10% off and free shipping. Been thinking about getting one.

Back