• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper wasp or hornet nest wads

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Russ: I have to doubt it. The nests are made of almost pure cellulose, and that just doesn't absorb anything. The only thing I think you might smell would be the sulfur dioxide from the black powder that might be residue on some of the wadding. But nothing else comes to mind. Cellulose has no odor. Its possible that some of the nectar stored in the comb and nest remains and is being burned by the powder charge. That would give off the odor of burned Cinnamon toast, or Burned Sugar- which is always a bitter, and acrid smell.

I've got one for you guys. About 40 years ago a diver recovered a flintlock trade gun type of firearm from under lake Michigan. Having been under 35 ft. of fresh water for 200 years didn't help the finish much [ha ha] When it was X-rayed to see if it was loaded they found out that it most certainly was. Somehow they pulled the charge out and found out that the wadding consisted of BEAVER FUR! If you were a voyageur paddling a trade canoe loaded with furs, I'll bet a pinch of beaver pelt would be easier to find than a hornet's nest.

Maybe some dead larvae were still inside. They would be mostly protein and that definitely stinks when burned.

They would likely carry a bag of fur clippings so to have it on hand, probably did stink a bit when they shot.

Back