• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Paper Loads in lieu of Pellets?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WSAR15

32 Cal
Reaction score
Can I use paper loads (without the bullet) to load a revolver like the .44 Pellets?
Has anyone done this or sell theses?
Any instructions on how to do it?
Thanks

Nobody sells them. Most folks that use loose powder for the charge, usually just pour the loose powder in the cylinder when they load.

Why do you want a "pre-filled" charge? Parade? Blanks?

You can certainly do this. I've done it. Essentially, all you're doing is making a paper cartridge and omitting the projectile.

It boils down to do you want to spend time making up the pre-measured charges at home, or spending the time at the range to load with loose powder and ball?

I just replied to a similar question yesterday. Yes you can do this using a paper cartridge kit like the one I have from Guns of the West. Instead of gluing the projectile on the top after filling with powder, just fold the excess paper over and hit it with a little glue. I made one in .44 to see how it worked.
IMG_20221210_140315.jpg

You can certainly do this. I've done it. Essentially, all you're doing is making a paper cartridge and omitting the projectile.

It boils down to do you want to spend time making up the pre-measured charges at home, or spending the time at the range to load with loose powder and ball?
Yes, I want to save time. Also, I am a neophite to black powder and would feel more comfortable with "pre-loaded" paper loads.

I just replied to a similar question yesterday. Yes you can do this using a paper cartridge kit like the one I have from Guns of the West. Instead of gluing the projectile on the top after filling with powder, just fold the excess paper over and hit it with a little glue. I made one in .44 to see how it worked.View attachment 182149
Thanks! How did you seal the top? A small rounded piece of paper (I don't understand "just fold the excess paper over and hit it with a little glue"

Thanks! How did you seal the top? A small rounded piece of paper (I don't understand "just fold the excess paper over and hit it with a little glue"
You're welcome! Sorry, I should've elaborated. So the kit comes with little circles of paper for forming the ends. I initially did just fold some of the excess paper down and wipe a little of the glue from the included glue stick and press down and it stayed, but to make it a little nicer I glued up another circle and placed it on top and ran it back through the former.

Here's a link to a video from Guns of the West showing how the kit is used and it will make a little more sense.

Thank you, Justin.44
I am going to give this a try and order the kit. I can prepare the paper loads ahead of going to the range.
Once the paper cone loaded, did you compact the powder? Also, for the second round seal, did you place the cartridge on a flat surface and run the cylinder from the top down?
All my very best.

I got a 100 count bag of 5ml sample tubes with attached snap shut lids. Premeasure at home, 30gr per tube. One per hole in the revolver cylinder, two to four down the rifle or shotgun barrel.

Back